Computer turns on and off.

Emtoor

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
I've been having this problem with my computer lately with it turning on and off after about 3 seconds of pushing the power button. All the lights come on and everything but it just cuts off in 3 seconds. I know for a fact it is not the PSU because I've tried 3 different ones and it still does the same thing. Also the power switch is not an issue. When I hold the reset button though when hitting the power button it stays on for about 10 to 15 seconds then cuts off.
One other thing that I noticed is that I could leave the computer sitting there for about and hour or so and come back and try to turn it on and it would work for about 30 minutes then randomly cut off on me. So if you have any suggestions to what it may be please help.

Thank you for your replies.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
If it's not the PSU then it's the mobo. Can you try a different mobo?
Please post your system specs.

BTW welcome to the forums 8)

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Possibilities:

- A device is failing and causing a short
- RAM is failing
- Electrical fluctuations at the plug - buy a UPS system

This wouldn't happen to be on a Gigabyte board would it? I've had bad experience with them...that's all... but definitely, could be a MB problem.

Emtoor

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Possibilities:

- A device is failing and causing a short
- RAM is failing
- Electrical fluctuations at the plug - buy a UPS system

This wouldn't happen to be on a Gigabyte board would it? I've had bad experience with them...that's all... but definitely, could be a MB problem.

Acutally, yes it is a Gigabyte board.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Take your motherboard out of your case and run it on a box or table. This will eliminate the possibility of a short with the case.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Damn...must be a coincidence. I stopped RMAing my Gigabyte MB after 4 - I MEAN FOUR! - failures after being REPAIRED 3 times. Ya, repaired my a**...

PC would start acting up; it would stop recognizing USB devices and then shut off. But then it wouldn't boot anymore, so somewhat different problem I guess.

Probably a fried capacitor or something on your board. I would try to test on another MB or test your RAM via Memtest86 and try a different GPU to rule out everything else.

Oh ya, BTW - what are your sys specs?

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
Damn...must be a coincidence. I stopped RMAing my Gigabyte MB after 4 - I MEAN FOUR! - failures after being REPAIRED 3 times. Ya, repaired my a**...

PC would start acting up; it would stop recognizing USB devices and then shut off. But then it wouldn't boot anymore, so somewhat different problem I guess.

Probably a fried capacitor or something on your board. I would try to test on another MB or test your RAM via Memtest86 and try a different GPU to rule out everything else.

Oh ya, BTW - what are your sys specs?

This is probably why gigabyte switched to an all solid capacitor design. I heard about the usb issue on a lot of forums.