notEinstein

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Plse help with a VISTA problem. I tried to convert my old domain user profile to a local profile least expecting what happended next. The profile of course as you know became unknown. I did not create a restore point to revert to. I created a new user and accessed all of the documents and applications except for one application which is picking up a changed hostname. I sucessfully imported all of the Outlook .pst files.
My main problem is I no longer have access to the domain and I should have preserved my Outlook for a few more weeks because I needed access to the phone book etc. How do I restore my old domain user profile so that I am able to login locally and have access to the Outlook .osd file etc – so I want to get back to the situation when I was a network user but working offline :cry:

einsteinus

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
When you copy user data into a new profile, the new profile becomes a near duplicate of the old profile, and contains the same preferences, appearance, and documents as the old profile. If your old profile is corrupted in some way, you can move the files and settings from the corrupt profile to a new profile.

einsteinus

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Forget the profile if they were on a domain before. The connectcomputer
wizard will migrate a local account profile only.

All mail should be (and should have been!) in the Exchange database. Where
was it before? If it was in PST files then you'll need to find them on the
local hard drive and open them in the user's Outlook profile, to copy the
data into the Exchange mailbox. Do not use Import. Then close the PST file -
I'd delete it. Don't use PST files.

A lot of prep work needs to be done before you deploy AD / Exchange -
desktop cleanup work before the fact makes this process a lot smoother.

notEinstein

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

I created a new local user profile and can access all documents from the old domain profile. I even set up a new outlook account and accessed the pst files. However what I really want to do is preserve the old domain mail access into Outlook because I could then doubleclick on names and access the phonebook offline etc. Is there any way I can get Outlook to restore to the exact offline domain user mode again? :sweat: