Sign in with
Your question

wait for penry,x38,?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 29, 2007 4:41:15 AM

Should I wait for penry and x38 mobos or go with q6600 and p35 mobo?

More about : wait penry x38

June 29, 2007 5:21:35 AM

If you play that game you'll be waiting forever 8O

There is always something better just around the corner.

What do you plan on using the computer for?
a c 478 à CPUs
June 29, 2007 1:19:04 PM

Depends on your current system. I built my current system last September and I'm waiting for Penryn to come out before I upgrade again. My current system will replace an HTPC built around an Athlon XP-M 2600+.
Related resources
June 29, 2007 2:26:45 PM

Penryn and x38 should show improvements to the p35, many "previews" have stated this but of course never trust too much until you see real benches.

Now having said that, will there be an earthshattering monumental change? Who knows at this point but I feel its unlikely. Don't get too caught up in whats hot coming around the corner. Its a seductive path waiting to have the hottest tech but you can get caught up in waiting longer than you ever wanted because like was stated above theres always something better and new coming :) 

I got tired of waiting, just bought a DS3 a couple weeks ago and come next week will be ordering a 8800GTS and hard drive to finish the build off. It depends on you, do you want better now? Is your system really showing its age? If so then current tech will likely blow your mind as I suspect my new build will show me a thing or two :)  hehe

There is benefit to waiting but then there is loss of fun/performance you could have in the meantime. Sorry its not a definitive answer but its your money and only you know how tired and disgusted you are with your current hardware :wink:
June 29, 2007 5:34:49 PM

Quote:
Penryn and x38 should show improvements to the p35, many "previews" have stated this but of course never trust too much until you see real benches.

Now having said that, will there be an earthshattering monumental change? Who knows at this point but I feel its unlikely. Don't get too caught up in whats hot coming around the corner. Its a seductive path waiting to have the hottest tech but you can get caught up in waiting longer than you ever wanted because like was stated above theres always something better and new coming :) 

I got tired of waiting, just bought a DS3 a couple weeks ago and come next week will be ordering a 8800GTS and hard drive to finish the build off. It depends on you, do you want better now? Is your system really showing its age? If so then current tech will likely blow your mind as I suspect my new build will show me a thing or two :)  hehe

There is benefit to waiting but then there is loss of fun/performance you could have in the meantime. Sorry its not a definitive answer but its your money and only you know how tired and disgusted you are with your current hardware :wink:
lol your right about that My current computer is 5 year old p4 1.7,512 sdram, 250gb hd,, radeon 9200 128 mb card.

What about price about penry cpu and x38 mobos going to be like,
any ideas? if the cpu cost $250 and mother board cost like $140 when its comes out i defenitly should wait for penry if the price over then that i rather go with q6600 and p35 board i guess.
June 29, 2007 6:11:05 PM

I would just buy a Q6600 and a p35 mobo now and not worry about it. Get some really good air cooling and go to 2.7ghz on it or get water go to the 3+ if your lucky and just enjoy a kicka** system. I wouldnt wait for penryn. Actually im not...I will be getting a Q6600 soon as well. lol, hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball
June 29, 2007 6:44:14 PM

Quote:

I'm waiting for the X38 myself. My present computer does most things all right, though its a littel behind in some areas. Mainly, I figure that by waiting until the X38, I can go directly from DDR to DDR3 ram and skip the whole DDR2 generation, thus making a major change from what I have now.

Whether you wait or not depends more on the amount of patience you have and the real need you have for a new computer. That's something that only you can know.
June 29, 2007 11:18:04 PM

Quote:

I'm waiting for the X38 myself. My present computer does most things all right, though its a littel behind in some areas. Mainly, I figure that by waiting until the X38, I can go directly from DDR to DDR3 ram and skip the whole DDR2 generation, thus making a major change from what I have now.

Whether you wait or not depends more on the amount of patience you have and the real need you have for a new computer. That's something that only you can know.true but the price is going to be definetly high i bet, so you can't just buy when its come out. I memeber when first q6600 came out on market price was around $850.00 if i can member correctly.If i put this way perny new cpu cost $850.00 after 6 month price going to cut in half $430.00? and after year around $230 by that time there is going to be another cpu coming out lol.
June 29, 2007 11:23:56 PM

one more question i heard about new intel cpu coming out on july 6750 price $190,6850 price $300? are this cpu better then q6600?
June 29, 2007 11:57:07 PM

I say go w/ the Q6600. It will be the price/performance leader for quite some time after its price drop.

What will you be using your system for?
June 29, 2007 11:58:41 PM

If you wait, you may be disappointed if cost matters to you. The problem is that X38 and penry will require the new DDR3 memory, if the performance is going to be any better. DDR3 memory is ridiculously expensive now, though it will fall over the next year. It will be a while before the new CPUs, mobos, and memory modules get to a reasonable price.

And then there's the video card issue. The current DX10 tests don't look so good for the current cards, unless you want to spend a fortune on SLI.

I am on a P4 3.0 Nortwood system now, which I built to replace a P4 1.7 system like yours. So, my situation is not as dire as yours. I am waiting until the Q6700 is available and the release of DX10 games make it clearer what we will need for a video card.
June 29, 2007 11:59:22 PM

Ive been waiting for the next best thing since february :cry: 
June 30, 2007 12:00:29 AM

As I remember, it is true enough that the first Q6600's were high in price, but that was before the price war started between AMD and Intel. I doubt the prices will be too high on the cpu's. I have larger concerns with the DDR3 ram, though by the time the X38 comes out, the prices on the ram should start to fall while the performance goes up.

In any case, making the jump to the whole new computer setup will cost some more than going with the current hardware and I accept that.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2007 12:31:22 AM

I'm waiting for the 9800 GTX, hopefully around Thanksgiving.

Penryn and X38 would be nice, but Q6600/680i are good enough anyway.
June 30, 2007 1:05:06 AM

Quote:
If you wait, you may be disappointed if cost matters to you. The problem is that X38 and penry will require the new DDR3 memory, if the performance is going to be any better. DDR3 memory is ridiculously expensive now, though it will fall over the next year. It will be a while before the new CPUs, mobos, and memory modules get to a reasonable price.

And then there's the video card issue. The current DX10 tests don't look so good for the current cards, unless you want to spend a fortune on SLI.

I am on a P4 3.0 Nortwood system now, which I built to replace a P4 1.7 system like yours. So, my situation is not as dire as yours. I am waiting until the Q6700 is available and the release of DX10 games make it clearer what we will need for a video card.
I remember seening some comparsion test between ddr2 vs ddr3 the only difference was between ddr2 vs ddr3 was drr3 had more lower latency then ddr2.
but ddr3 is still new it has lot to come in future but price will be pretty high for 2 gb ddr3 when its going come out on market. yeah I want to play bf2,crysis,quake ware,other games like that.editing photo shop,some other stuff.I dont have any plan on buying dual cards so sli is total wast for me.
I wont be doing any upgrading on my cpu for atleast 3-4 year.
June 30, 2007 2:08:40 AM

Quote:

lol your right about that My current computer is 5 year old p4 1.7,512 sdram, 250gb hd,, radeon 9200 128 mb card.

I had a 3 year old AMD Opty (940) 146 1600mhz, 512 ECC registered ram, two 120GB HDD's , and a Radeon 9200 128MB AIW system (The Mobo died a couple of months ago :cry:  ), before I upgraded to my current system.

Quote:

any ideas? if the cpu cost $250 and mother board cost like $140 when its comes out i defenitly should wait for penry if the price over then that i rather go with q6600 and p35 board i guess.

Penry will come out as Intel's top line chip, and won't be cheep (nether will the mobo's be), and you will probably wind up only affording the lowest or maybe the one above that with the prices that you are talking about. Unless Penry is a earth shattering chip, you will find the Q6600 a better investment.
June 30, 2007 3:22:15 AM

Quote:
I remember seening some comparsion test between ddr2 vs ddr3 the only difference was between ddr2 vs ddr3 was drr3 had more lower latency then ddr2.

wrong, DDR3 have higher latency than DDR2 but more bandwidth.. there isnt really a benefit with DDR3 right now.
June 30, 2007 4:58:17 AM

BullaRh
Quote:
wrong, DDR3 have higher latency than DDR2 but more bandwidth.. there isnt really a benefit with DDR3 right now.

you're wrong too.

DDR3 top model isn't as fast as the DDR2 Top model modules. DDR3 only goes up to 1333mhz with CL7+ while there's DDR2 Modules taht goes up to more than 1333mhz with CL5. So DDR2 modules are faster right now.
July 1, 2007 2:43:19 AM

So, you haven't been able to play Doom 3, Half Life 2, WoW, and many other games yet on decent settings. I went from the P4 1.7 to the P4 3.0 to play them. I am disappointed I can't play the latest Splinter Cell game, because my X800 XT does not support shader 3.0. I won't get Vista unless I have to for programming purposes.

I would never buy a computer in anticipation of a game. If playing the future DX10 games is what is driving you, wait until they come out. By then you will have a much better idea of what you need, and the prices will continue dropping. I find it rather odd that Microsoft hasn't released the DX10 upgrade to Flight Sim X. It makes me think they are having problems with DX10, Vista, and/or the current cards.

Of course, then you gotta wonder if it might be better to get a PS3 for games, being that a PS3 system is cheaper than the current Ultra video cards.
July 1, 2007 4:42:02 AM

Quote:
I find it rather odd that Microsoft hasn't released the DX10 upgrade to Flight Sim X. It makes me think they are having problems with DX10, Vista, and/or the current cards.

Want to more that's odd? Microsoft hasn't come out with MSMoney for Vista, Office for Vista, or anything else for Vista. M$ has made an operating system but not done anything to support it. Kind of reminds me of when they came out with XP 64 Pro. A good, 64 bit operating system, but without support from M$.

I'm one of the people who has a Vista 64 bit OS, but no software that is 64 bit, nothing that does anything that can't be done on my 32 bit XP OS. If M$ doesn't come out with some software by next year, I'll be thinking that I, and everyone else who bought Vista, has been had again, if you know what I mean.
July 1, 2007 10:57:34 AM

Quote:
Want to more that's odd? Microsoft hasn't come out with MSMoney for Vista, Office for Vista, or anything else for Vista. M$ has made an operating system but not done anything to support it. Kind of reminds me of when they came out with XP 64 Pro. A good, 64 bit operating system, but without support from M$.

Microsoft Office 2007?
July 1, 2007 1:39:49 PM

Quote:

Microsoft Office 2007?
Yeah, i've ran Office 2007 on Vista with no problems before, even some Office 2003 programs. I'm sure Money would run too........
July 1, 2007 1:49:57 PM

Quote:

I'm in the same boat. My current system is a 2.4 Northwood that i built probably 6 years ago with 512MB Ram, two 80Gig HDs and a AIW Radeon 8500. I added another 512 Ram, two 320Gig Sata drives, SB Audigy and an X800 along the way but the processor is really showing its age.

I have a Dell Latitude D820 with the 2GHz Core Duo and 2 Gigs DDR2 and a dock and i think im going to get an eSATA card and a couple of eSATA drives and enclosures and use my laptop as my desktop hopefully till next summer when i have more money and something new is out......
July 1, 2007 2:16:25 PM

Quote:
BullaRh

you're wrong too.

DDR3 top model isn't as fast as the DDR2 Top model modules. DDR3 only goes up to 1333mhz with CL7+ while there's DDR2 Modules taht goes up to more than 1333mhz with CL5. So DDR2 modules are faster right now.

what have you been eating? yes they have high timings but also higher bandwidth.. it was the same when DDR2 came.. high timings and now we have PC-6400 with CL3

DDR2

PC2-3200 200 MHz DDR2-400 3.200 GB/s
PC2-4200 266 MHz DDR2-533 4.264 GB/s
PC2-5300 333 MHz DDR2-667 5.336 GB/s1
PC2-6400 400 MHz DDR2-800 6.400 GB/s
PC2-8500 (planned) 533 MHz DDR2-1066 8.500 GB/s

DDR3

PC3-6400 400 MHz DDR3-800 6.40 GB/s
PC3-8500 533 MHz DDR3-1066 8.53 GB/s
PC3-10600 667 MHz DDR3-1333 10.67 GB/s[2]
PC3-12800 800 MHz DDR3-1600 12.80 GB/s

DDR3-1600 isnt out yet but it is gonna appear very soon! people can expect to reach 2000+mhz on em. http://www.supertalent.com/newsletter/061607.html
now please show me what DDR2 module is faster than that.
July 1, 2007 3:05:37 PM

well i would say since the P35 motherboards give support for Peryn then you should buy one of those with a cheap C2D(that's how i think though) :lol: 

:twisted:
July 1, 2007 3:07:12 PM

Quote:

Microsoft Office 2007?
Yeah, i've ran Office 2007 on Vista with no problems before, even some Office 2003 programs. I'm sure Money would run too........

Sorry, I wasn't clear with my comment. Office, Money, etc will run on Vista, but when I look to the packaging, Vista is not listed as a supported OS. The listed OS's that it supports are "Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack (SP) 2, Windows Server 2003 with SP 1, and later operating system" with a reference to note 2 which states, "The Office clean up wizard not available on 64 bit OS". Thus my statement, "M$ has made an operating system but not done anything to support it".

Until M$ specifically includes and supports all functions of programs in Vista with 64 bit, though they may run on Vista, I don't consider them as Vista rated and supported programs. Just my opinion.
!