Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do I use signs to direct peeps around the park?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 5, 2004 11:32:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

If I put up banner signs with the names of the rides that can be found
down a particular path, will that help the guests locate the rides
they want? If the path has 5 rides and I put up 3 signs, will guests
find the rides that aren't labeled as well?

I read that the main path should have signs labeling it. What should
the sign read? "Main"? How should I label signs for the monorail
that takes people to the back of the park?

Are there other kinds of signs that can be used to direct park guests?

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:55:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

In article <18df9af1.0406051832.7eb4347c@posting.google.com>,
jmatt@no-nonsense-mortgage.com (John) wrote:

> If I put up banner signs with the names of the rides that can be found
> down a particular path, will that help the guests locate the rides
> they want? If the path has 5 rides and I put up 3 signs, will guests
> find the rides that aren't labeled as well?
>
> I read that the main path should have signs labeling it. What should
> the sign read? "Main"? How should I label signs for the monorail
> that takes people to the back of the park?
>
> Are there other kinds of signs that can be used to direct park guests?

It has been claimed that if you divide your park into areas and have
consistent signs at the entrance to each area, that people with maps can
find their way to the rides more easily. For example, people trying to
find the "Space Rocket" coaster can find it more easily if it is in a
signed area called "Future World" because they first navigate their way
to Future World and then to Space Rocket once there.

It has also been claimed that doing this incorrectly (having signs
leading into an area that don't all have exactly the same wording) can
cause guests to become lost.

I can't say for sure that either of these is true, but I do it anyway
because it's fun.

This all refers to the single tile "sign" items that go across paths,
not the larger scenery signs that are in RCT2. I don't think the latter
do anything other than make the park look nice.

-- paul asente
To reply, make the host be the same as my last name
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 2:39:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

"John" <jmatt@no-nonsense-mortgage.com> wrote in message
news:18df9af1.0406051832.7eb4347c@posting.google.com...
> If I put up banner signs with the names of the rides that can be found
> down a particular path, will that help the guests locate the rides
> they want? If the path has 5 rides and I put up 3 signs, will guests
> find the rides that aren't labeled as well?
>
> I read that the main path should have signs labeling it. What should
> the sign read? "Main"? How should I label signs for the monorail
> that takes people to the back of the park?
>
> Are there other kinds of signs that can be used to direct park guests?
>
> Thanks.

About the only signs I use are the 'no entry' ones I place at the exits to
rides to keep peeps from wandering off the main path into exit areas, and
occupying the benches I place for riders who may feel sick when getting off
a ride.

Although, I have used a 'no entry' sign to block access to the park exit to
keep peeps in the park when I am right at the amount of visitors needed to
complete a scenario at the very end and am barely hanging on to win..

B.N.
Related resources
June 8, 2004 11:42:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

> It has been claimed that if you divide your park into areas and have
> consistent signs at the entrance to each area, that people with maps can
> find their way to the rides more easily. For example, people trying to
> find the "Space Rocket" coaster can find it more easily if it is in a
> signed area called "Future World" because they first navigate their way
> to Future World and then to Space Rocket once there.
>

I find it highly unlikely, to be honest. How could Sawyer possibly
know how to cross index what people *might* name park areas with the
ride themes? What if players named the area "TomorrowLand" or
"Martian Adventures"?

It may be the case that labelling a park area helps guests find their
way around, but there's no way it could be cross indexed with ride
names.

In a similar vein, I tried an experiment wherein I put up signs with a
ride name that could be found down a given path at the front of that
path, but even that didn't seem to reduce the number of guests that
"Can't find Blue Hurricane".
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 4:45:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

In article <18df9af1.0406081842.1c663d91@posting.google.com>,
jmatt@no-nonsense-mortgage.com (John) wrote:

> > It has been claimed that if you divide your park into areas and have
> > consistent signs at the entrance to each area, that people with maps can
> > find their way to the rides more easily. For example, people trying to
> > find the "Space Rocket" coaster can find it more easily if it is in a
> > signed area called "Future World" because they first navigate their way
> > to Future World and then to Space Rocket once there.
> >
>
> I find it highly unlikely, to be honest. How could Sawyer possibly
> know how to cross index what people *might* name park areas with the
> ride themes? What if players named the area "TomorrowLand" or
> "Martian Adventures"?

You misunderstand what I was trying to say (maybe I didn't say it well).

It's pretty well accepted that the effect of a map is to let peeps know
about rides that they can't see, and to know their location in the park,
but not to let them know how to navigate your park's path structure to
get there. They just try to head towards where the ride is, and if the
paths don't go there very directly, they get lost.

The thing that is claimed is that peeps can also "see" signs on the map
and use them to get to the rides. It doesn't matter whether "Space
Rocket" is in an area with "Future World" signs or with "West World"
signs or with "Xyzzy" signs, only that it is in an area delimited by
*some* sign, and that getting to that sign will always get them closer
to the ride. What would be bad would be having "Space Rocket"
surrounded by "West World" signs but also having a "West World" sign
somewhere else in the park, because the peeps might head for that sign
trying to get to "Space Rocket".

Again, I don't know if this is really true. Try googling some old
messages from this group (try "sign navigate") for other messages on
this topic.

-- paul asente
To reply, make the host be the same as my last name
August 26, 2004 2:22:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

From what I remember from RCT.. there is no corolation between signs and
guests finding rides. The signs just look good, but basically, other than do
not enter signs.. the guests can't read. They wonder around and if they find
a ride they like.. they get in line.
But I am not an expert.
Jeff


"Paul Asente" <usenet@not-asente.com> wrote in message
news:usenet-AD40C4.00451709062004@newshost.allthenewsgroups.com...
> In article <18df9af1.0406081842.1c663d91@posting.google.com>,
> jmatt@no-nonsense-mortgage.com (John) wrote:
>
> > > It has been claimed that if you divide your park into areas and have
> > > consistent signs at the entrance to each area, that people with maps
can
> > > find their way to the rides more easily. For example, people trying
to
> > > find the "Space Rocket" coaster can find it more easily if it is in a
> > > signed area called "Future World" because they first navigate their
way
> > > to Future World and then to Space Rocket once there.
> > >
> >
> > I find it highly unlikely, to be honest. How could Sawyer possibly
> > know how to cross index what people *might* name park areas with the
> > ride themes? What if players named the area "TomorrowLand" or
> > "Martian Adventures"?
>
> You misunderstand what I was trying to say (maybe I didn't say it well).
>
> It's pretty well accepted that the effect of a map is to let peeps know
> about rides that they can't see, and to know their location in the park,
> but not to let them know how to navigate your park's path structure to
> get there. They just try to head towards where the ride is, and if the
> paths don't go there very directly, they get lost.
>
> The thing that is claimed is that peeps can also "see" signs on the map
> and use them to get to the rides. It doesn't matter whether "Space
> Rocket" is in an area with "Future World" signs or with "West World"
> signs or with "Xyzzy" signs, only that it is in an area delimited by
> *some* sign, and that getting to that sign will always get them closer
> to the ride. What would be bad would be having "Space Rocket"
> surrounded by "West World" signs but also having a "West World" sign
> somewhere else in the park, because the peeps might head for that sign
> trying to get to "Space Rocket".
>
> Again, I don't know if this is really true. Try googling some old
> messages from this group (try "sign navigate") for other messages on
> this topic.
>
> -- paul asente
> To reply, make the host be the same as my last name
!