text file version of folder properties

June 22, 2005 10:33:42 PM

I would like to get a listing of the "properties" (that is, the stuff
you get when you right click and ask for properties) of one or more
folders/files. Either a straight text or a more complex file
structure, I don't care. I tried looking for this, but I could not
come up with keywords that made it differ from about a billion
completely different questions. (Let's see, keywords: windows, folder,
properties, that should bring up one or two pages. Sheesh. Only 1.8
million.)

TIA.

--
Matt Silberstein

June 22, 2005 10:33:43 PM

Matt Silberstein wrote:

> I would like to get a listing of the "properties" (that is, the stuff
> you get when you right click and ask for properties) of one or more
> folders/files. Either a straight text or a more complex file
> structure, I don't care. I tried looking for this, but I could not
> come up with keywords that made it differ from about a billion
> completely different questions. (Let's see, keywords: windows, folder,
> properties, that should bring up one or two pages. Sheesh. Only 1.8
> million.)
>
> TIA.

For creation date & time, size and long file name:

Open the Command prompt, type the DIR (directory) command redirected to
a text file.

something like this:

dir "C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Username\My Documents" > list.txt

Yor can open the resulting file with your choice of Windows Notepad,
Windows Wordpad, Microdoft Works Word Processor, Microsoft Works, Open
Office or any of MANY other applications.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:21:09 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:09:27 -0400, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics , RobertVA
<Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> in
<#YvTp31dFHA.1136@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl> wrote:

>Matt Silberstein wrote:
>
>> I would like to get a listing of the "properties" (that is, the stuff
>> you get when you right click and ask for properties) of one or more
>> folders/files. Either a straight text or a more complex file
>> structure, I don't care. I tried looking for this, but I could not
>> come up with keywords that made it differ from about a billion
>> completely different questions. (Let's see, keywords: windows, folder,
>> properties, that should bring up one or two pages. Sheesh. Only 1.8
>> million.)
>>
>> TIA.
>>

>For creation date & time, size and long file name:
>
>Open the Command prompt, type the DIR (directory) command redirected to
>a text file.
>
>something like this:
>
>dir "C:\Documents and Settings\Windows Username\My Documents" > list.txt
>

>Yor can open the resulting file with your choice of Windows Notepad,
>Windows Wordpad, Microdoft Works Word Processor, Microsoft Works, Open
>Office or any of MANY other applications.

I wanted things like folder size/number of files, which includes
subfolders. I suppose I can build something to do that, but I was
hoping for something simple.

--
Matt Silberstein

June 23, 2005 10:21:21 AM

"Matt Silberstein" <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
message news:abejb1lm008qao7ipas9ubth4di5qd5eqa@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:09:27 -0400, in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics , RobertVA
> <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> in
> <#YvTp31dFHA.1136@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl> wrote:
>
>>Matt Silberstein wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to get a listing of the "properties" (that is, the stuff
>>> you get when you right click and ask for properties) of one or more
>>> folders/files. Either a straight text or a more complex file
>>> structure, I don't care. I tried looking for this, but I could not
>>> come up with keywords that made it differ from about a billion
>>> completely different questions. (Let's see, keywords: windows, folder,
>>> properties, that should bring up one or two pages. Sheesh. Only 1.8
>>> million.)

Take a look at Karenware:

http://www.karenware.com/

Look up the utility (free) "Directory Printer". It will do all you want and
save it to a text file.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:52:45 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:21:21 -0500, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics , "Erronius"
<Erronius@warmtoast.com> in <ejxKpW#dFHA.1136@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>
wrote:

>"Matt Silberstein" <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
>message news:abejb1lm008qao7ipas9ubth4di5qd5eqa@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:09:27 -0400, in
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics , RobertVA
>> <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> in
>> <#YvTp31dFHA.1136@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl> wrote:

>Take a look at Karenware:
>
>http://www.karenware.com/
>
>Look up the utility (free) "Directory Printer". It will do all you want and
>save it to a text file.

Neat stuff. Not directly what I wanted, but I can make it work.
Thanks.

--
Matt Silberstein