Firefox works but IE won't!

EvilHomerINC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Normally I wouldn't care if IE worked or not, but I would like to be able to use windows update!

I reformatted a sony computer with the included cds. They are old, so after I reinstalled XP home I went through the standard protocol of updating repeatedly. After I installed service pack 2, I finally got the IE7 download...and IE7 won't load anything, or connect, not even to windows update.

I am connected to a linksys wireless router with a linksys usb wireless adapter. I don't think the problem is with either of these, because my other machine with XP pro works just fine connecting to the same network using the usb adapter. Both IE7 and firefox work on it, but only firefox will work on this machine!

Like I said, I use firefox exclusively unless running windows update...

Please, does anyone have any ideas to make IE7 work?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Can you download an IE setup file from a 3rd party site and use it to download and install IE again? Also, check Under Add Remove Programs in control panel, maybe a way you can revert to an older version of IE, then reinstall.

fbm211

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I cant get IE7 to work either.And I went through all that repeated windows updating also on a new build.I tried twice as I had to do a fresh xp install after I had a memory failure that corrupted my first install.So I just gave up and didnt let xp install IE7 and stayed with IE5.5.