Computer shuts down even on new harddrive+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispak

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Hello,
my asus pc just started to shut down by its self for a week now.i thought it was a virus but no matter when i tried to the recovery programs...it would still shut down. i just we and bought the exact same hard drive.i wanted to copy my doc music movies before formatting a old drive.. it still shuts down when im doing the copying.well i tired something new and completly disconnected the old drive and boot off the new one.. stills shuts down by it self. is my motherbroad fried?? plz help

Solution
You said that everything scramble right just at the time when the ASUS logo appeared right ? This has something to do with the video card. It's a sign that it's dying or overheating ( if you only experience shutdowns and no sorts of artifacts that may pop up on screen ). You should remove your video card if you have one. Otherwise it may be the onboard card's fault. If you still have warranty, then send it for repairs.

basedv

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Don't really believe it's the power supply even though guilty in most cases. It is what your last post said how the bios screen gets scrambled. This makes me believe that it has something to do with the video but really would lean towards the ASUS mboard. I personally have had nothing but a bad experience after another with there boards ranging from heat to random reboots. After hours and hours of troubleshooting it seemed to always come back to the mboard and was confirmed when I RMAed the boards got new ones worked for a month or two and would start getting the same symptoms.

Now on that note there are people out there that have them and never have a hitch with them and live a good healthy life cycle. The scrambling of the bios screen is key. bad power supply just doesn't do anything or stats and then just stops in the middle because the power disappears. Bad video card could give similar symptoms also. Now if it were me I would eleviate the video and then work to the mboard where I really feel your problem lies.

Michael

You said that everything scramble right just at the time when the ASUS logo appeared right ? This has something to do with the video card. It's a sign that it's dying or overheating ( if you only experience shutdowns and no sorts of artifacts that may pop up on screen ). You should remove your video card if you have one. Otherwise it may be the onboard card's fault. If you still have warranty, then send it for repairs.

Solution

dispak

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

Thx for the reply.. I'm going to complety dismantle every part and do trail and error.. But if it is hardware issues why I'm getting the "blue screen of death" and other warnings about corrupted data? .. Is my harddrive still good or should I keep the new one just in case?
Btw do you have any tips on trouble shooting the hardwear?Should I replace the mbroard With same model or upgrade to differnt brand? Is overheating the problem

dispak

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

thx for the reply.. It not only scrambles on the asus logo but even when i get into windows.. Lots of artifacts .. Checker lines and inverted colors then it shuts down and reboots by it self

dispak

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

ok I'll disconnect the video card and see what happeans

dispak

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

I've never had a gpu repaired before.. What's better, send to
asus or get it repaired at a tiger direct? I love the card .. Runs all my games like butter.. I have an old nvidia 8600 gt that I'll put in the mean time.. Have to look for it tho. Question about the ati 5450 .. Is this a common problem with these cards? Should I get some extra fans to keep the temps down?.. Thx for the reply..

dispak

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

thanks for info..
Ill take a look around and see if I can find one at that price

dispak

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011

Thanks for the troubleshooting Bro . You were a big help.. I just ordered a new card.. Ati 5770.. I wanted the 5850 but it's $200+ .. I settled for the 5770 for $95.

Status
Not open for further replies.