Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Uninstalling and Reinstalling Video Drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2007 10:36:45 AM

How could I go about uninstalling my video driver and then reinstalling? Will i be left with no video at all or will windows still display when i uninstall the Nvidia driver?
June 29, 2007 10:54:20 AM

some people would say just uninstall normally from the add/remove programs section in the control pannel.

In most cases that should be fine (if you are just uninstalling the drivers for the same company you are gonna put back in) -> you could just over write the files by simply installing the new drivers and not deleting anything.

If however, you want to be certain nothing is left behind, then i would suggest you take the driver cleaner route.

1- Get driver cleaner pro from the net
2- uninstall drivers from control panel
3- reboot system into safe mode
4- use driver cleaner pro; select the company name your drivers are from (e.g ATI, Nvidia), and press clean
5- once that is done, reboot into normal mode (your display may change resolution but will still work)
6- Install the new drivers
7- restart PC to use the new display drivers and set it according to your needs

The pretty much covers it.
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
June 29, 2007 12:12:09 PM

When you uninstall your graphic drivers, Windows will use some very basic drivers to display to your screen. After the reboot from the uninstall, Windows will prompt you with a New Hardware Found prompt. CANCEL this. Install the latest drivers from your manufacturer and you're good to go.

As for the need to uninstall, I've run into some problems by just over-writing what's currently installed. Nothing serious. Just a system hiccup which corrupted the install. I've also overwritten them without any issues, but just to keep the system clean/stable as possible, I go ahead and uninstall the previous drivers before installing the newer ones.

-Wolf ends
June 29, 2007 8:22:49 PM

Quote:
When you uninstall your graphic drivers, Windows will use some very basic drivers to display to your screen. After the reboot from the uninstall, Windows will prompt you with a New Hardware Found prompt. CANCEL this. Install the latest drivers from your manufacturer and you're good to go.

As for the need to uninstall, I've run into some problems by just over-writing what's currently installed. Nothing serious. Just a system hiccup which corrupted the install. I've also overwritten them without any issues, but just to keep the system clean/stable as possible, I go ahead and uninstall the previous drivers before installing the newer ones.

-Wolf ends

The problem I ran into is that I started up counterstrike and it said I didnt have the latest driver so i went and installed it and then later realized it was the same as before I was installing. After that my framerate in WoW has been cut in half I even tried rolling back drivers and it didn't help so I'm going to have to go the cleaning route to see if that'll fix it.
!