8800GTS and dual power supply

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
I obtained this morning an 8800GTS (XFX brand) - not by choice either, I might add - and in the requirements it goes on about a minimum PSU of 650W. I have a 500W in my case.

The 650W they talk about - is that for the card alone, or the whole system? Logically it's for the whole system. The reason for this is because I'm wondering if I can hack a second PSU into my case to run this thing - actually to test it, after resoldering a SMT capacitor onto the thing, after breaking said cap off with a screwdriver - or whether I'll have to get a new PSU.

As for how I knocked the cap off - I hate those retention clips on the slot. They make life so bloody difficult... especially if your fingers are bandaged (don't ask).

ROFL..ok..ok not asking Your psu should be fine IF youre getting something like 20 amps PER 12 volt rail, and have 2 rails with 20 amps each. (redundant?) And the combined output for the 12 volt should be at least 30 amps. 20 n 20 equal 40 I know but it doesnt work that way. If you dont have alot of "stuff" in your system, if your psu makes those marks youre ok to go....bandages? broken capacitors? LOL Good luck

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
I unclipped the retention clip on the slot, and the screwdriver I was using for this purpose inadvertently hit the back of the card.

The four bandaged fingers are an unrelated incident. Work-related, actually.

What I'm going to attempt is to run the card's power connector off a second supply, with motherboard/HDD/etc etc off the first.

Stuff in my system:
CPU: P4HT 631 3.0GHz (@3.3GHz, mild)
RAM: 4x512MB Samsung DDR2-533
HDD: WD 80GB SATA
DVD: Samsung DVD-RW SATA
PSU: 500W (and a second 350W I'm thinking of hacking in)
GPU: ATI Radeon X600XT 256MB (not for much longer if this works, though)

Not a uber-powerful system, but I don't play games. I don't have the time to waste, frankly.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Never mind. The thing runs off my single 500W supply.

Very well too. Unfortunately I don't play games very much, so I really can't do such a card justice. Ah well...

Congrats on it working on your PSU. I'm not entirely sure where the 650watts came from. Everything I have seen recommends 400-450 with 26 amps on the +12v rails. I think the 650watt recommendation was for SLi. Not that it matters anymore. I just found it confusing.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I obtained this morning an 8800GTS (XFX brand) - not by choice either, I might add - and in the requirements it goes on about a minimum PSU of 650W. I have a 500W in my case.

The 650W they talk about - is that for the card alone, or the whole system? Logically it's for the whole system. The reason for this is because I'm wondering if I can hack a second PSU into my case to run this thing - actually to test it, after resoldering a SMT capacitor onto the thing, after breaking said cap off with a screwdriver - or whether I'll have to get a new PSU.

As for how I knocked the cap off - I hate those retention clips on the slot. They make life so bloody difficult... especially if your fingers are bandaged (don't ask).

Whoa!!

Who let you out of the basement?

MEGAWATTZ2000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Congrats on it working on your PSU. I'm not entirely sure where the 650watts came from. Everything I have seen recommends 400-450 with 26 amps on the +12v rails. I think the 650watt recommendation was for SLi. Not that it matters anymore. I just found it confusing.

The min. is 400watts with 26amps that's true, but by the title I'm thinking dual so he must mean SLI ..

He meant Dual in the sense that he wanted to fuse in a second PSU into his system. Kinda like adding a PSU specifically for the GPUs and add-on cards. He also said the 650 came from off the XFX box.

He said:
The reason for this is because I'm wondering if I can hack a second PSU into my case to run this thing