Do all rear projection DLP have pincushion distortion?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
February 25, 2005 7:55:09 PM

A friend say all the DLP project TV he saw have slight pincushion
distortion. This is especially noticeable when looking at a test pattern or
when viewing 4:3 ration video on a wide screen DLP set. In addition, there
is no apparent control to adjust this distortion away.

Is this true??
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:55:10 PM

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>A friend say all the DLP project TV he saw have slight pincushion
>distortion. This is especially noticeable when looking at a test pattern or
>when viewing 4:3 ration video on a wide screen DLP set. In addition, there
>is no apparent control to adjust this distortion away.
>
> Is this true??
I haven't seen any Samsung DLP sets with any distortion whatsoever (at least
not noticable with the internal or external crosshatch screen)
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:55:10 PM

I've read many posts about Samsung projection displays
having distortions, and Samsung has just blown people off..

But I don't remember if they were DLP or LCD.

--
Ric Seyler
February 25, 2005 8:45:44 PM

"RicSeyler" <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote in message
> I've read many posts about Samsung projection displays
> having distortions, and Samsung has just blown people off..
>
> But I don't remember if they were DLP or LCD.
>
> peter wrote:
>
> >A friend say all the DLP project TV he saw have slight pincushion
> >distortion. This is especially noticeable when looking at a test pattern
or
> >when viewing 4:3 ration video on a wide screen DLP set. In addition,
there
> >is no apparent control to adjust this distortion away.
> >
> >Is this true??

The pincushion that people see in DLP and LCD sets typically comes from the
tendency of the screens to bow because the frames on the sets are flexible.
The cabinets are made to be light and simply do not provide solid mounting
and cannot keep the screens flat. Take any of them and rock the frame or
push on the screen a bit and you will see the pix move on the screen.
People want light weight, the manufacturers want to reduce shipping
costs...you have a big plastic box that flexes.

Some of it may come from optical path problems, but the irregularity from
one set to the next indicates that this is not likely. Keeping this in
perspective, most of the DLP and LCD RPTVs are still better than most of the
CRT based sets in this regard.

Once the price drops on them and no one is making $$$ anymore, maybe we will
see some higher end sets with better optics and more stable cabinets.

Leonard
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 10:09:12 PM

No probs on my 62725 mitz.

Don

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>A friend say all the DLP project TV he saw have slight pincushion
>distortion. This is especially noticeable when looking at a test pattern or
>when viewing 4:3 ration video on a wide screen DLP set. In addition, there
>is no apparent control to adjust this distortion away.
>
> Is this true??

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:45:12 PM

There is an entire thread on AVSForum dedicated to the people (like me) who
bought Mitsubishi DLPs with this problem, oddly it always seems to be the
bottom right hand corner of the picture. I ended up getting mine replaced
but it was NOT easy because Mits said it was "within spec" and the dealer
was just jerking me around. I looked at a LOT of DLP sets before buying the
Mits (I still think it has the best picture) and never saw any pincushion
issues on the Sammy or Hitachi units that I looked at. If you are
considering the Mitts I would suggest you have them turn the unit on in the
store first and put up the test pattern (this info is in the AVSForum
thread) and make sure it doesn't have any significant issues before you
accept it. If you are having it delivered I would do this before I accepted
the delivery.

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> A friend say all the DLP project TV he saw have slight pincushion
> distortion. This is especially noticeable when looking at a test pattern
or
> when viewing 4:3 ration video on a wide screen DLP set. In addition, there
> is no apparent control to adjust this distortion away.
>
> Is this true??

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 3:00:18 PM

According to various posts (includind one earlier in this forum re: Samsung
5085) that the occassional unit does have pincushion. The consensus seems to
be that the vast majority of DLP units don't have a problem. I was paranoid
about this potential problem when I purchased my Samsung 5685 this week
(deeply discounted as this older model is being cleared out.) I thought I
could see pincushioning on my screen, particularly at the top and towrds the
corners. However, when I held a thin string across the screen from corner to
corner I could see no deviation - at least within the thickness of the
string. I am coming to believe that on these larger screens there is an
optical illusion effect that makes all sides seem to bend inward slightly -
no scientific proof on this supposition. Other than my "imagined" pin
cushioning I am extremely happy with my Samsung.

Barry

!