Sloppy engineering of OTA channels

This last week two KPIX-dt (San Francisco) foulups have occurred that strike
me as odd.

CSI and CSI Miami opening teasers had no dialog track. The background sounds
were there, but no actor dialog until the main body of the program began.
Noting that both programs clearly are produced by the same outfit MAY
indicate the issue is there, And further brcause the background tracks were
right I suspect the problem is not at KPIX.

I woulda' thought CBS would review their tapes before they aired them.
10 answers Last reply
More about sloppy engineering channels

    Tapes have nothing to do with it. Dolby encoding downstream from the video
    playback. Not the production company or the station..somewhere in network
    control.

    "Larry Vanerwegen" <vanerwegen@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > This last week two KPIX-dt (San Francisco) foulups have occurred that
    > strike me as odd.
    >
    > CSI and CSI Miami opening teasers had no dialog track. The background
    > sounds
    > were there, but no actor dialog until the main body of the program began.
    > Noting that both programs clearly are produced by the same outfit MAY
    > indicate the issue is there, And further brcause the background tracks
    > were
    > right I suspect the problem is not at KPIX.
    >
    > I woulda' thought CBS would review their tapes before they aired them.

    "Larry Vanerwegen" <vanerwegen@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > This last week two KPIX-dt (San Francisco) foulups have occurred that
    > strike me as odd.
    >
    > CSI and CSI Miami opening teasers had no dialog track. The background
    > sounds
    > were there, but no actor dialog until the main body of the program began.
    > Noting that both programs clearly are produced by the same outfit MAY
    > indicate the issue is there, And further brcause the background tracks
    > were
    > right I suspect the problem is not at KPIX.
    >
    > I woulda' thought CBS would review their tapes before they aired them.

    I thought it would be a network foulup. So tell me CBS. Are you going to
    get your act together?

    Larry Vanerwegen wrote:
    > This last week two KPIX-dt (San Francisco) foulups have occurred that strike
    > me as odd.
    >
    > CSI and CSI Miami opening teasers had no dialog track. The background sounds
    > were there, but no actor dialog until the main body of the program began.
    > Noting that both programs clearly are produced by the same outfit MAY
    > indicate the issue is there, And further brcause the background tracks were
    > right I suspect the problem is not at KPIX.
    >
    > I woulda' thought CBS would review their tapes before they aired them.

    Nope. Not KPIX. Happened here in LA on KCBS as well.

    "Steve K." <steve@nodamnspam.com> wrote in message
    > Larry Vanerwegen wrote:
    >> This last week two KPIX-dt (San Francisco) foulups have occurred that
    >> strike me as odd.
    >>
    >> CSI and CSI Miami opening teasers had no dialog track. The background
    >> sounds
    >> were there, but no actor dialog until the main body of the program began.
    >> Noting that both programs clearly are produced by the same outfit MAY
    >> indicate the issue is there, And further brcause the background tracks
    >> were
    >> right I suspect the problem is not at KPIX.
    >>
    >> I woulda' thought CBS would review their tapes before they aired them.
    >
    > Nope. Not KPIX. Happened here in LA on KCBS as well.

    ==========================
    It happened in Seattle at KIRO, too.

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:09:55 -0800, "Larry Vanerwegen"
    <vanerwegen@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >This last week two KPIX-dt (San Francisco) foulups have occurred that strike
    >me as odd.
    >
    >CSI and CSI Miami opening teasers had no dialog track. The background sounds
    >were there, but no actor dialog until the main body of the program began.
    >Noting that both programs clearly are produced by the same outfit MAY
    >indicate the issue is there, And further brcause the background tracks were
    >right I suspect the problem is not at KPIX.
    >
    >I woulda' thought CBS would review their tapes before they aired them.

    Wouldnt it make sense if the FCC required the DTV station as
    must-carry instead of the old analog station? It could be
    downconverted at the cable head end, making the stations care most
    about the DTV.

    This would also advance the limp efforts our either impotent or
    confused FCC has taken so far at clearing out the old analog
    frequencies for the other uses.

    Of course, they would have to stop forbidding stations from turning
    off the analog station altogether.

    Dave

    "g666bush" <gw666bush/removethis@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > Wouldnt it make sense if the FCC required the DTV station as
    > must-carry instead of the old analog station? It could be
    > downconverted at the cable head end, making the stations care most
    > about the DTV.
    >
    > This would also advance the limp efforts our either impotent or
    > confused FCC has taken so far at clearing out the old analog
    > frequencies for the other uses.
    >
    > Of course, they would have to stop forbidding stations from turning
    > off the analog station altogether.

    =====================================
    This is similar to my thoughts too.
    I think the networks should dump all SD transmission and let the stations
    downconvert the HD/DTV signals.

    I only get OTA, but they constantly screw it up.
    No one is minding the station!

    g666bush wrote:

    > Of course, they would have to stop forbidding stations from
    > turning off the analog station altogether.

    There is one TV station in my area that is digital only: KCSM, a member
    supported station which used to be channel 60 and now is four SD
    subchannels, some empty or audio only.

    On 1 Mar 2005 02:04:24 -0800, "Paul Kienitz"
    <paul-NOZPAM@paulkienitz.net> wrote:

    >g666bush wrote:
    >
    >> Of course, they would have to stop forbidding stations from
    >> turning off the analog station altogether.
    >
    >There is one TV station in my area that is digital only: KCSM, a member
    >supported station which used to be channel 60 and now is four SD
    >subchannels, some empty or audio only.

    I believe they let a digital only - but brand new w/o an existing
    analog - sign on somewhere in Palm Beach FL or nearby.

    Nonetheless, the FCC a couple weeks ago refused to let a (foreign
    language) analog sign off. Who knows... with GWB--- perhaps the
    language it broadcasts is SAUDI ! That would explain it.

    g666bush wrote:

    > On 1 Mar 2005 02:04:24 -0800, "Paul Kienitz"
    > <paul-NOZPAM@paulkienitz.net> wrote:
    >

    >>g666bush wrote:
    >>

    >>>Of course, they would have to stop forbidding stations from
    >>>turning off the analog station altogether.
    >>
    >>There is one TV station in my area that is digital only: KCSM, a member
    >>supported station which used to be channel 60 and now is four SD
    >>subchannels, some empty or audio only.
    >

    > I believe they let a digital only - but brand new w/o an existing
    > analog - sign on somewhere in Palm Beach FL or nearby.
    >
    > Nonetheless, the FCC a couple weeks ago refused to let a (foreign
    > language) analog sign off. Who knows... with GWB--- perhaps the
    > language it broadcasts is SAUDI ! That would explain it.

    I believe the FCC has allowed three stations to kill their analog
    station so far. This is the first one they have denied.

    Bob Miller

    "g666bush" <gw666bush/removethis@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > Wouldnt it make sense if the FCC required the DTV station as
    > must-carry instead of the old analog station? It could be
    > downconverted at the cable head end, making the stations care most
    > about the DTV.

    The problem is that the "DTV station" is either an HD channel, or 4 or more
    multicast SD channels, compared to the single (analog) SD channel currently.
    That means cable and satellite would have to allocate 6x the amount of
    bandwidth for it. If they were only required to carry an SD/ED version of
    one of the channels (either down-converted version of the HD channel, or
    just one of the multicast), that wouldn't help the broadcasters much. If
    that's all that will be carried, it's not really any different from carrying
    just the analog feed.

HDTV Dialog Home Theatre