skevil

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
I just need some ideas on what could be causing this problem.

On Tuesday of this week I downloaded and installed some Windows updates successfully. The next day I noticed in Call of Duty 4 that my ping was 30-40 points higher than it normally has been on this server that I play on all the time. Also, in other games like World of Warcraft, my latency is 100-300ms higher than it has been for as long as I've had the game. I'm somewhat network savvy and I've tried all that I can think of to try and resolve the problem, but nothing is working. The only thing that changed or happened were those Windows updates.

I have a cable modem that connects to a router which is hooked up to three computers, but mine is the only one being used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm starting to get extremely irritated and I want to exhaust some more options before I contact my ISP to see if they're the problem. Thanks!

sturm

Splendid
Try removing the updates and see if your ping goes down to what it was. If so then see if you can go without the update(s). If there is no change then I am not sure right now.

thehelo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
well seeing as nothing has changed except for your computer, try pinging your router. if its small, like 1-3, then chances are its not your computer, but you can never be sure there. this is one of those scenarios where you will most likely never find out the cause so i would not suggest killing yourself over it.

could also try seeing what your ping is from a different computer on your network to the same server and compare it to your computer.