upgrading topic "placing a second router"

ABRAND888

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I have been running so many tests that I am finally getting down to the following conclusion. For some reason after using separate antennas with the Engenius USB lan driver , using the WiFire antenna USB system and the use of Windows configuring my wireless system, the best signal I am getting in my basement is just using the built-in antenna of the laptop,period . If does vary from day to day. I can never get the same results every day.

I found out that when I tried just my laptop in my dining room and saw a very strong signal and couldn't access the Intrernet it was because I had selected Windows to configure my wireless network. Once I disable this feature, I was able to on line anytime in my dining room.

Since I didn't see much improvment with the Dlink DIR-615, I went back to my Linksys and upgraded the Tomato xtmr of the signal to 110mw. I need to run it for 12 hours to see if it gets too hot and haven't done that yet. I do think a previous setting of 84mw gices me the same results as 110mw. Will need more tests.

So I am up to the following :

Buy another Linksys router, namely a WRT54G, install DD-WRT firmware and make the setting to be a repeater mode. Will the Linksys in repeater mode really broadcast a very strong by itself to my basement by increasing the transit power like I did on my Linksys upstairs or not ?

Buy a Engeniustech ECB-3610 Router with repeater mode built-in and it has a spec of 600mw receive sensitivity and be done with. It does cost about twice but it can really suck in a wifi signal.It also has the feature of changing antennas and my wife will not complain about seeing a device in my dining room always running.

Look forward to your thoughts.

G

As with many tweaks, changing antennas may render different, but not necessarily better, results.

Have you considered using mains-plug networking which avoids the usual wireless speed and reliability problems.

ABRAND888

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Please explain to me what you mean "Have you considered using mains-plug networking which avoids the usual wireless speed and reliability problems." ?

I don't have the capability of doing hard wiring in my basement because it is in the back of house so I am trying a wireless setup. On my second floor I have a cable modem and Linksys router that ork fine and it hard wired.

Thanks