unable access secure site for banking

June 23, 2005 4:44:26 AM

I have just replaced my windows 98se machine with a new machine running xp
professional, but find I cannot log on to my internet banking site. The pop
up screen appears after keying "log on" on the bank home page, but the CRN
(customer registration number) will not register my keystrokes on that pop
up csreen.
I am running Norton but disenabling this programme had no effect.
The pop up screen has security applied,as hovering the mouse pointer over
the closed padlock icon says it has 128 bit encription applied.
Any ideas
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 4:44:27 AM

You should download the newest Java software, available
free, from Sun Microsystems:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ian Matthews" wrote:

| I have just replaced my windows 98se machine with a new machine running xp
| professional, but find I cannot log on to my internet banking site. The pop
| up screen appears after keying "log on" on the bank home page, but the CRN
| (customer registration number) will not register my keystrokes on that pop
| up csreen.
| I am running Norton but disenabling this programme had no effect.
| The pop up screen has security applied,as hovering the mouse pointer over
| the closed padlock icon says it has 128 bit encription applied.
| Any ideas
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 4:44:27 AM

Hi Ian,

See if this helps:

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Complete MSN Sign-up or
Connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ian Matthews" <matthei@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>I have just replaced my windows 98se machine with a new machine running xp
>professional, but find I cannot log on to my internet banking site. The pop
>up screen appears after keying "log on" on the bank home page, but the CRN
>(customer registration number) will not register my keystrokes on that pop
>up csreen.
> I am running Norton but disenabling this programme had no effect.
> The pop up screen has security applied,as hovering the mouse pointer over
> the closed padlock icon says it has 128 bit encription applied.
> Any ideas

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:59:55 PM

Ian Matthews wrote:
> I have just replaced my windows 98se machine with a new machine running xp
> professional, but find I cannot log on to my internet banking site. The pop
> up screen appears after keying "log on" on the bank home page, but the CRN
> (customer registration number) will not register my keystrokes on that pop
> up csreen.
> I am running Norton but disenabling this programme had no effect.
> The pop up screen has security applied,as hovering the mouse pointer over
> the closed padlock icon says it has 128 bit encription applied.
> Any ideas

I know that for a while the banks here "keyed" your password to your
computer as a security measure. In theory that computer was the only
one that you could access your internet banking on. Of course that
didn't last long when people discovered that they couldn't check their
accounts from work or while at a friend's place or by using Mum and
Dad's computer - or logon when they upgraded to a new computer. It may
be that your bank does that. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call and ask.
They can reset the password for you and you have to re-register if
that is the case.
--
Westie
!