unable access secure site for banking

I have just replaced my windows 98se machine with a new machine running xp
professional, but find I cannot log on to my internet banking site. The pop
up screen appears after keying "log on" on the bank home page, but the CRN
(customer registration number) will not register my keystrokes on that pop
up csreen.
I am running Norton but disenabling this programme had no effect.
The pop up screen has security applied,as hovering the mouse pointer over
the closed padlock icon says it has 128 bit encription applied.
Any ideas
3 answers Last reply
More about unable access secure site banking

    You should download the newest Java software, available
    free, from Sun Microsystems:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ian Matthews" wrote:

    | I have just replaced my windows 98se machine with a new machine running xp
    | professional, but find I cannot log on to my internet banking site. The pop
    | up screen appears after keying "log on" on the bank home page, but the CRN
    | (customer registration number) will not register my keystrokes on that pop
    | up csreen.
    | I am running Norton but disenabling this programme had no effect.
    | The pop up screen has security applied,as hovering the mouse pointer over
    | the closed padlock icon says it has 128 bit encription applied.
    | Any ideas

    Hi Ian,

    See if this helps:

    HOW TO: Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Complete MSN Sign-up or
    Connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Ian Matthews wrote:
    > I have just replaced my windows 98se machine with a new machine running xp
    > professional, but find I cannot log on to my internet banking site. The pop
    > up screen appears after keying "log on" on the bank home page, but the CRN
    > (customer registration number) will not register my keystrokes on that pop
    > up csreen.
    > I am running Norton but disenabling this programme had no effect.
    > The pop up screen has security applied,as hovering the mouse pointer over
    > the closed padlock icon says it has 128 bit encription applied.
    > Any ideas

    I know that for a while the banks here "keyed" your password to your
    computer as a security measure. In theory that computer was the only
    one that you could access your internet banking on. Of course that
    didn't last long when people discovered that they couldn't check their
    accounts from work or while at a friend's place or by using Mum and
    Dad's computer - or logon when they upgraded to a new computer. It may
    be that your bank does that. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call and ask.
    They can reset the password for you and you have to re-register if
    that is the case.
    --
    Westie

Windows XP