Vista Installation Error "required cd/dvd drive device driver is missi

Status
Not open for further replies.

easy772

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I have Vista 32-bit home edition I am installing on a new set up. Early in the installation, after I choose language and click the install now button, I get a "A required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing" error message. It then gives me the option to search my cd/dvd-rom or my HDD for drivers.
The dvd/cd-rom I am using is a HL data storage model GSA-H3OL

Any help much appreciated.

Solution
When I installed Vista I used a PATA drive so I didn't have a problem, but my pc is 3 years old now and running W7 and I've run out of SATA ports to replace the one that's a bit dicey with a new SATA. Looks like I'll have to get another PATA.
Good luck.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
2 things come to mind, first, does your motherboard have optical only SATA connectors, (check mobo manual) driver should not be required for Vista.
If so make sure it's connected to the optical SATA connector.
If not try using PATA/IDE compatability mode in bios.
Good luck.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
If you have a PATA connector borrow a PATA and try that. I know other have had to do this , but so far I havn't heard of a proper solution.
I assume you do have the dvd drive set as first boot, I know, but others have missed the obvious.

easy772

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Yeah, I have a friend that said he would bring his IDE dvd-rom over.. Hopefully that works. I should probably tell him to bring a PATA connector for the HDD too just until we can install all the proper drivers for the mobo, vista and whatever else comes up.. Thanks a lot too for all the help.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
When I installed Vista I used a PATA drive so I didn't have a problem, but my pc is 3 years old now and running W7 and I've run out of SATA ports to replace the one that's a bit dicey with a new SATA. Looks like I'll have to get another PATA.
Good luck.

Solution

arun_kv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
This may be because your PC does RAID on its HDD(s). It may not be due to the DVD/CD drive at all. If you think about it, you would not have gotten this far (to read the OS install disk) if the DVD/CD driver was not working/installed. I had this problem with my Gateway LX6810-01 computer. Some people have posted that if you make your IDE DVD/CD drive slave instead of master, it would not give this message. However, on my PC, I cannot do that in the BIOS.

I downloaded the motherboard chipset driver package from Gateway.com, unzipped it and put it on a USB flash drive. Just before clicking "Install Now" for Vista, I inserted the USB flash drive. When the "A required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing" error message appeared, I browsed to where I had stored the driver files and selected the top directory yielded by the unzip. The install program recognized the RAID and SATA controllers for the motherboard. (I asked it to display only compatible drivers.) The drivers were installed, and the rest of the error message no longer appeared.

Rgee415

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Actually have the Rig up and running now.. It was a faulty motherboard that I sent back.. It was really weird because my friend told me it for sure wasn't the motherboard because it was brand new. However, after leaving my rig with a co-worker who works with computers as a part time job, he told me it was FOR SURE the mobo.

Edit: this is Easy772 didn't realize I was on my brothers account.

G

i have that exact same problem with the exact same computer but when i try to install the motherboard drivers from the missing cd/dvd drivers promt it still won't accept them. I have burned them to cd and pointed to it though a usb hard drive but it still won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.