The affect of additional hardware?

sactogw

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
So I built my computer back in February and got into this whole OC thing. After some learning frustrations, I was able to figure things out and get my e4300 to 2.7 stable (9x 300) -- never tried to go higher, but I'm sure it was possible. Last week, I added a firewire card and another gig of RAM, and I'm now not getting anything above 2.07 (9x 230) with all the settings left the same. I then tried to tweak the voltages of the RAM and CPU, but no combo is producing results. The computer begins to start up, and then restarts itself after about 3 seconds. I'm thinking it is the RAM, because I paired a 1GB set of dual-channel 675 (Corsair XMS2pro) with 2GB of dual-channel 800 (Corsair XMS2 pro), but I'm not sure. Everything works perfect at the factory 1.8 of the cpu (9x 200) and up to 2.07. I've tried upping the RAM voltage as high as +.2 (shouldn't be necessary), and the cpu to as high as 1.40v (running it at 2.7 didn't even require this). No luck. The RAM has always been run at 1:1 at 5-5-5-15 or 18, so it has not even gotten to its rated max. All the stuff that should be disabled has been, and I've followed the advice of any OC guides available (including the one on Tom's). Temps have always been fine. Any tips or ideas? Here are my specs:
C2D E4300
2GB Corsair XMS2 pro 800 dual-channel
1GB Corsair XMS2 pro 675 dual-channel
Gigabyte DS3 rev 2.2
Antec true power trio 550w psu (overloading the psu maybe?)
Rosewill RCX Z3 heatsink
ATI x1600pro PCI-E video
Maxtor 300GB SATA hard drive
generic brand PCI Firewire card
PCI wireless network card
2 DVD-R drives
3 case fans (only 1 hooked to the crappy fan only connection), the front LED of the case, an additional LED inside the case, and a single cold cathode (I list these in case anyone suspects I'm draining too much juice form my PSU)

Thanks for any help!!!!

sactogw

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Thanks tlmck.
I bought the RAM here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145535
the specs are listed

Yeah, I've heard that mixin is not the best idea, and that using the same brand is the best way to reduce the risk of things not working. Maybe that is the problem, but I'm not sure. It does look like they run at different volts (the 800 is rated at 1.9 and the 675 at 1.8 ), but the OC doesn't even max the 675 - the 800 is then way underclocked compared to its max; so, would that be an issue?
True, I think the PSU should be fine according to its watt and amp ratings (550w with 18A on 3 12v rails), but many of you have more experience with PSUs than I do. I've already had problems with the 'fan only' power connector, so it wouldn't surprise me if the PSU was an issue. It's just weird that I'm on it right now running the cpu at factory speed, and everthing is running perfect. The e4300 is an OC pimp, and it is really strange that sticking a card and the new RAM in limited it so much.

sactogw

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
no, i have not tried that yet. I'm sure that might give me some more info on what the problem is, so I may do that soon. Everything is running fairly cherry right now, so I'm trying to stay as 'hands-off' as possible. I'm sure my curiosity will get the best of me though. thanks for the idea

sactogw

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Ok, nothing else is working, so all signs do seem to be pointing to the RAM combo. On that point, I'm trying to do the calculation on which benefits me more when it comes to the video stuff I do occasionally -- the OC CPU or the extra gig of RAM. If the overclocked CPU would serve me better, I can just take out the RAM and give it to my brother. On the other hand, I'm figuring that the extra RAM coupled with my mediocre graphics card may suit my purposes better than running the CPU at about 2.7 minus a gig of RAM would. Does this make sense?