maestro87

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
I'm looking to get a soundcard for my comp after my Audigy died. I'm running XP Pro right now, but have plans to upgrade to Vista when SP1 comes out. I love all of the reviews for the X-fi cards, but there are so many variations, I dont know which one to buy...
I do a lot of gaming (BF2142, CS, F.E.A.R.), and a lot of music listening through my 2.1 system, which is great. I consider myself to have some audiophile qualities, but it's not like I have the most discerning ear. I'd like to keep costs low, and I dont imagine spending over $125-$150. I've heard that some of the newer low-profile X-Fi's are built with lower quality parts, so which one should I go for? Here is the lineup for those of you who have not memorized it...
http://creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=209

Thanks!

Go with the Sounblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series if you want the BEST ($140 on Newegg) or Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer if you want a Good sound card ($90- $30 rebate=$60 on Newegg)

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I second the Xtreme Gamer FPS - its cheaper at Mwave
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=4165350&RSKU=4165350

And probably cheaper elsewhere...

I just bought the Xtreme Gamer FPS and its a nice card. I enabled the X-Fi crystalizer and I didn't bother with the equalizer (it already sounds good enough to me - I'm not a serious audiophile...) Games also sound really good although I don't have any that take advantage of the X-Ram.

clay-uk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Sorry to jump in here but i cant see how to start a new thread here :(
Anyway i want to buy a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer but on creatives website it states that for windows XP you need a PCI 2.1 slot but on my Asus PB5 Deluxe motherboard all the PCI slots are 2.2, will this sounds card still work on my motherbaord ??? thanks for any help you can give.

einheriar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

Why are you guys allways advertising so fondly these rebate money making schemes..
If they are so good for you why did not ever a business advertising an importer or manyufacturer rebate, go in to my suggestion to give me 15$ off of the 30$ rebate and take the other 15$ themselves. I even proposed to fill in the card on their behalf.. Besides I have not ever gotten a rebate back form any company i applied to.
If they want to sell more, then just lower the price..

einheriar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

They are backwards compatible.
if it was the other way around, you would have had problems. If your cards needed 2.2 and the motherboard was 2.1

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Thats funny because my Audigy 2ZS just went bad to. I got the SB X-FI ExtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro and its all that! It does sound a lot better than our old Audigy series cards, don't let your speakers limit what you hear.

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
How about the XtremeMusic?
Although its discontinued, the only difference between it and the XtremeGamer FPS is the X-RAM and its around 20-30 $ cheaper.

It may be hard to find but i'm positive its still available.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

The ExtremeGamer and the XtremeMusic are not alike as far as sound quality go's. That "Fatal1ty" means something about the card and what its capable of. I have heard the difference between the two and the XtremeGamer sounds tons better!

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I have an XtremeGamer and recommend it if you don't wanna spend a ton on a sound card. It has great sound quality in games, movies, and music.