Port configuration this operation not supported

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Dell
  • Computers
  • Windows Vista
Last response: in Windows Vista
June 27, 2010 3:38:01 PM

dell 948 works fine on other computer. an error occurred during port configuration . This operation is not supported????? did everything restart changed port etc. help

More about : port configuration operation supported

June 28, 2010 12:33:02 AM

yes, several times. specifically for vista 64bit.
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2010 12:45:57 AM

Go into Devices and Printers right click the printer, select printer properties, click on the Ports tab and try a different port. It should be on a USB port you may find it's using a com port.
Now that I think about it, I had a similar problem with a Lexmark printer a few years back. I don't know about that Dell model, if it's a Canon or a Lexmark, they did use Lexmarks a few years back.
m
l
June 28, 2010 12:49:20 AM

TRYED SETING ON ALL PORTS. USB WORKS THATS I'M USING BUT WON'T LET ME MANUALLY CONFIGURE IT. NOT COMMUNICATING WITH THIS COMPUTER. TRIED EVERYTHING!!
m
l
June 28, 2010 5:49:28 AM

Disconnect the printer and uninstall drivers and software, restart the pc without it.
Do a complete shut down, then start up without connecting printer. Now run the install choose custom instalation (hopefully that's an option) carefully follow instructions.
At some point there may be a window pop up showing which port it's going to use, see if there is a way to change it this point, if it's using the same one as before try changing it, if not cross your fingers and hope for the best.
I take it there was nothing of help on the Dell site?
If it doesn't work now, find a big hammer to kick start it.
m
l
!