Sign in with
Your question

LAN not working, Wireless working fine (D-Link DGL-4300 router)

Last response: in Networking
March 11, 2008 3:08:45 PM

Hey

I got a D-Link DGL-4300 router with the latest firmware: 1.8.

The wireless and the connection to the internet is working great, but when i plug in a LAN connection it gets an IP, but the connection is limited (according to WinXP) and I can't even connect to the router or the internet through a LAN connection.

I'm not an expert with router settings, but i'm not completely lost either.

The wireless connection on my laptop, stops working when I'm also plugging in a LAN connection to it.

The Router is not directly connected to a modem, but it's connected to a larger network, because i'm sharing internet with alot of other people, but I'm 99% sure that it's the router that contains the problem.

___/ Router Settings \____
Router IP Address : [192.168.0.1]
Subnet Mask : [255.255.255.0]
Local Domain Name : [ ] (optional)
Enable DNS Relay : [x]

___/ DHCP Server Settings \____
Enable DHCP Server : [x]
DHCP IP Address Range : [192.168.0.2] - [192.168.0.99]
DHCP Lease Time : [1440] minutes
Always broadcast : [x] (compatibility for some DHCP Clients)
NetBIOS Advertisement : [ ]

I have tried to set the DNS server to 192.168.0.1 on the PC after I connecet it to LAN, and I have tried to give it a static IP, but nothing works.

So please help me get my LAN connection on my router to work.
March 11, 2008 4:59:46 PM

Whats the ip address the router is getting from the rest of the network?
Post an IPconfig /all here for us to look at.

If you take the cable that is plugged into the router that comes from the rest of the network and plug it into a computer what happens? IP address, network connection, etc...
March 11, 2008 7:02:04 PM

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : graversen
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cust.bolignet.dk

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cust.bolignet.dk
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Networking Velocity-Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-8D-D3-17-C9
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.90.164
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.240
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::250:8dff:fed3:17c9%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.90.161
fe80::D 190:a487:a6fd:f98b%4
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.36.193
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 213.173.248.37
fec0:0:0:ffff:1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff:2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff:3%1
Related resources
March 12, 2008 4:18:03 AM

well seeing as the wireless through the router works fine we can rule out it being the network the router is attached to and at the same time we know that dhcp is configured correctly. my suggestion would be to look through the router for any weird setting you may have enabled/disabled just to be sure, and i would also suggest posting an ipconfig /all from your computer while plugged into the router when the computer has limited to no connectivity according to xp.

after the ipconfig /all another step you can try is to statically assign everything to your pc. ip 192.168.0.100 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway:192.168.0.1. your ip config doesnt seem to show a dns server and i'm too lazy to find one so you might wanna find the dns server your wireless devices are using doing and ipconfig /all on them and use that as the dns server when you statically assign the address to your computer.
October 21, 2008 7:28:09 PM

Hey, please help me out :hello: 

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with a D-link DGL 4300 wireless router
and I cannot understand how this can happen. It was very unfortunate since
the router is a replacement router for another one that just quit on me... Flat out.

So, did you get the problem solved Graversen? If so, how? :bounce: 

Any other router pros recognizing this behaviour? I have of course tried to reset the
router in every possible way (seem to be three different ways of doing that :pt1cable:  )

All the best guys!

//Johan
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 25, 2009 11:18:48 AM

One more wild report to this problem:

Everythings working fine until this moring. I joined the wireless with my Laptop.
Changes before this: I reconfigured my WEP2 Password (Couse i forgot it ;)  )

ok, new connection, bumms, no more Networkadresses on all wired Components. Harddisk Network Storage Device, off, draw a automatik 169 adress.
Computer also, no more internet, no more connection to the router.
I Checked everything i be able, my resolve, Router is defekt. Buy new one....

sry for this bad news, but i spended more then 5 hours now to solve this problem. If anybody got a hint, maybe i will have a secondhand router to sell *ggg*

greetz, Kolja
January 25, 2009 1:08:05 PM

I got a new router from D-Link, this one works like a charm :wahoo: 
No root cause report from D-Link though... :non: 
August 24, 2009 6:28:48 PM

I've had a similar problem with a D-Link router. The problem for me was the network filter. On other routers, the MAC filter only refers to the wireless network, but for D-Link the wired connections are filtered as well. So, if you enable the filter, be sure to also add the MAC address of the ethernet port to the allow list.

Hope this helps,
blondu
September 20, 2009 3:31:11 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the hint. I suddenly started having this problems with my wired connections after turning the MAC filters ON. Added my ethernet adapter MAC addresses to the filter list and the problem is gone. It is totally not obvious that filtering refers also to wired connections.
Thanks again, that was a great help.

Zx81
December 2, 2012 3:40:39 PM

zx81 said:
Hi,

Thanks for the hint. I suddenly started having this problems with my wired connections after turning the MAC filters ON. Added my ethernet adapter MAC addresses to the filter list and the problem is gone. It is totally not obvious that filtering refers also to wired connections.
Thanks again, that was a great help.

Zx81

hello im having that problem with my router. where did you find the you mac filters on/off option?
!