Sign in with
Your question

Vista falling apart

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 28, 2010 2:38:06 AM

Was using the computer today (Vista Home Premium 64 bit) when the internet stopped working all of a sudden. I didn't think anything of it because this happens from time to time, but when I restarted I get a black screen and some text saying the computer is going to do a CHKDSK scan. After it finished it restarted and when it finished loading the desktop I start getting errors that various features of vista like vista defender, cryptography. On top of that my anti virus (Kaspersky) stops working and says there's a program failure and the database is suddenly corrupt. Along with a plethora of other programs that stop working. Also I seem to get a blue screen periodically and need to restart and return to more error and failures. The only think I can think of that might have anything to do with any of this is that my computer might have overheated since the room I keep it in is pretty hot. If anyone has any solutions to my wide assortment of problems I would be very grateful.

More about : vista falling

June 28, 2010 5:34:50 AM

While a hot room isn't good for your pc, overheating the pc usually sounds an alarm by beeping. Enter bios to check the temp.
This seems more like a faulty drive or ram, run a memory test on the ram one stick at a time and download drive diagnostic tools from the maker and check the drive, like Seagate or WD or whatever brand you have.
m
l
June 28, 2010 5:08:57 PM

Thank you for response. Could you please explain to me how to do these things? I don't have a very extensive knowledge of computers. Any help is very much appreciated as I seem to have a new error every time I restart. One error in particular "Superfetch" causes my internet to crash. I also seem to get a blue screen 5 to 15 minutes after turning the computer on saying it needs to do a memory dump.
m
l
June 28, 2010 8:20:38 PM

It's looking more like memory.
Download the free Memtest at: http://www.memtest.org/
Burn the iso file to make a bootable disk.
m
l
!