Thin black line across screen

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 26, 2005 4:41:54 AM

I just bought a Sony 34XBR 960 and about an eighth of the way down the
screen there is a fine black line that goes horizontal across the screen. It
is only visible when the screen is white or real light. Is this normal for
these types of TV's?

The problem is that it's one of those things that you can't un-notice once
you notice it and you always catch yourself looking for it. I don't have the
box or receipt because I didn't notice it for a few weeks after I got the TV
(I got it on SuperBowl Sunday) I got the TV from Circuit City and it says on
their receipts that without the box they won't do an exchange. Am I
nitpicking and should I just be happy with the TV or should I try to do what
I can to make them exchange it???

Thanks for any advice.

More about : thin black line screen

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 4:44:53 AM

"Zapp Brannigan" <nospam@nope.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a Sony 34XBR 960 and about an eighth of the way down the
>screen there is a fine black line that goes horizontal across the screen.
>It is only visible when the screen is white or real light. Is this normal
>for these types of TV's?
>
> The problem is that it's one of those things that you can't un-notice once
> you notice it and you always catch yourself looking for it. I don't have
> the box or receipt because I didn't notice it for a few weeks after I got
> the TV (I got it on SuperBowl Sunday) I got the TV from Circuit City and
> it says on their receipts that without the box they won't do an exchange.
> Am I nitpicking and should I just be happy with the TV or should I try to
> do what I can to make them exchange it???
>
> Thanks for any advice.

And the answer is... I feel better now 'cause there's nothing that can be
done except getting a new TV...

A thin, gray horizontal line is visible on the Trinitron® television or
computer monitor.
Resolution:

A thin, gray horizontal line may be visible on a Trinitron® television
or computer monitor while a light-colored background is displayed on the
screen. This is a shadow of the aperture grille damper wire. The function of
the damper wire is to keep the wires that make up the aperture grille from
vibrating.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:17:23 PM

Sony crt's have had 2 of those damper wires for at least the last 30
years.
February 26, 2005 4:35:23 PM

"Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> Sony crt's have had 2 of those damper wires for at least the last 30
> years.

I never noticed one on my XBR400. At least I know it's not a defect.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:01 PM

>I never noticed one on my XBR400. At least I know it's not a defect.

Yeah, it's more like a design flaw :-)
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 2:21:58 AM

"Randy W" <RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>I never noticed one on my XBR400. At least I know it's not a defect.
>
> Yeah, it's more like a design flaw :-)

A 30 year desing flaw... Oh well
!