speakers popping and lowered volume level

betsaronie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
I've been having trouble with my sound system for a few months now. First my original speakers (dell) started popping and crackling and over time the volume got softer and softer until i couldn't hear anything with it on the highest setting. So i began listening to things through my microphone's headset (logitech). No problems whatsoever. I buy new speakers (creative), thinking that they other ones just broke, but now, after only 3 weeks they have been popping extremely loudly (even scares my sometimes) and the volume is already half as loud as it was when i first bought it. The odd part is that they are popping when no sound is being played, sometimes when i'm not even on my computer. Is my sound card dying and eating my speakers with it? if so, why didn't it affect my headset at all? The headset sound cord and the speakers sound cord get plugged into the same slot on my card. (making it impossible for me to listen to both at the same time) any ideas on what's going on and what I should do?

in addition, i have checked the computers settings everything is as loud as i can get it. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sound card and I've updated the drivers. its a 4 year old system (sound blaster audigy 2) and the mother board was replaced last year when i manged to break it putting in additional RAM. never had any other problems with my system.

thanks for any advice!

betsaronie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
I dont know what you mean by distortion. All i do is turn the volume on. Initially it was set pretty low, within the first 1/4 of the wheel. now to get the same level of sound i have to set it at 3/4 of the wheel. The volume began to degrade without me blasting sound, but rather simply playing music at a normal volume.

The humidity is a bit higher in this room because there's no ceiling fan, just a small one i keep on the floor. but i wouldn't consider the humidity extreme or anything, just a bit higher than the rest of the house.

skyline0511

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Sounds like power spike problems to me.. Test your power outlet using voltmeter or buy a surge protector.. It can also be your soundcard, test the volume or wattage from it, also by using voltmeter, make sure you change the voltage accordingly.. Also be careful, wear rubber gloves etc..

ducati900ss

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Hi, I havn't replied before on this forum but seeing your post I couldn't resist. Your problem is related to your sound card and the dodgy drivers that Creative put together for the Audigy......I had exactly the same thing with my Audigy2 and it drove me nuts !!!

I tried other drivers and they worked fine, but couldn't get the same set up as you get with the creative drivers. Eventually I bit the bullet and got the X-Fi card and things are perfect now. And, as a bonus, as well as gettting rid of the popping (which does make you jump !!) the sound is much better as well.....you'll be surprised how much sound cards have moved on.

Hope this helps.