Windows cannot run setup in safe mode.

stro2997

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I've read several threads and have not gotten a full answer that works. My computer was infected with the Advanced Virus Removal trojan. All the forums I read were not helpful as it had mutated and would not allow access to regedit or task manager. My virus/spyware support said to go under msconfig and have in safe boot mode under boot.ini.

Well my system rebooted and would go to blue screen saying system was infected and would stop. This would happen each time. I was told to use my startup cd. I did and chose to repair the OS. When it would reboot the screen would say safe mode in the corners and then a dialog box appears saying Windows setup cannot be run in safe mode. Tried going under F8 and tried every option with the same result.

stro2997

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Thanks, for the help. I need to find something that will run on boot up since i can't get into windows. I have all my original software disks that is what i used to get into this mess.

stro2997

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I take it that you downloaded "free antivirus" that's a big mistake.

If you can in safe mode, try to get to system restore and set the hard drive back to the time before you installed AVS.

OR try to download and run this:

panda security active scan

If you are able to run active scan, it will erase AVS. If you are not able to get to system restore or run active scan, you are pretty much stuck with reformatting the drive and installing a new operating system. You can buy XP home edition and XP home office on amazon for about $120 total.

If you are able to run active scan and erase AVS, then you can do another system repair with the original XP operating system disk. After AVS has been erased, system repair will most likely work.

be sure to turn off any anti virus and windows firewall before active scan or repairs.

Biggest Mistakes People Make:
1. Downloading "free" antivirus- you have been warned.
2. Buying a computer with "pre installed" software- never buy a computer unless you are getting ALL the original software and drivers on CDs.

Thanks, for the help. I need to find something that will run on boot up since i can't get into windows. I have all my original software disks that is what i used to get into this mess.

stro2997

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
OK, you start up the computer and hold down F8, this should start a boot menu.
(it varies depending on what computer you have)
select "boot from CD" in the menu, put the operating system in the drive, and push enter.
this will start the windows setup.
it will say: "to boot from CD, push any key" Push enter
do not use the repair console, enter the windows installation setup
it will load drivers. It will ask if you agree--push "I agree"
then it will get to a screen that says:
"to repair an existing installation of windows, press R" Then press R
Then it will repair the existing installation from the disk
if you are having a good day, XP will repair without wiping your files or applications, and go back to a normal operating state.

If you buy the Panda disk, start it the same way as above. It will wipe the AVS, then you can repair the operating system.

I did that originally. When it rebooted that's when it tries to start in safe mode then says"Windows XP Setup cannot run under safe mode.Setup will restart now. That's where the loop begins. Burning a copy of Panda .iso now

stro2997

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
If it will run, you have a good chance in erasing the malware. I wish you luck on that.
If it will not run, the system is too corrupted and you may need to start from scratch...reformat the entire thing. I hope you are able to repair it.

But of course, since you have the original OS disk, you can always reload it and start over from scratch. You loose your files.

In the future after its repaired, run a good antivirus, not a "free" one.
and back up your files, you can back up on "Mozy" 2 GB for no charge.

I used Mozy, and when my system crashed, I was glad I did. I was able to recover all my files.

Thanks. So far Panda has found 3 viruses. I had been using Norton 360 and had just updated and ran a full scan about 2 hours before the wife crashed it. I do have most of my docs backed up so not too bad of a lost. Thanks again for the help. fingers are crossed i can get this rebooted when the scan is done.

stro2997

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
If you can finish a scan, you should be able to repair the operating system.
Panda will find many more problems than Nortin. Ive tested them side by side.
Once I tested them I was sold on the panda bear.
You never want to load anything that is not signed by microsoft, or specifically recommended by the motherboard manufacturer.

There's a trick to this. When renewal comes for the antivirus, dont renew it over the internet. Go to the office store or online, and buy a fresh disk, it's way cheaper than renewing it online.

Even the 2009 version will work fine in 2010. It's the same threat signature files. If you buy last years version, you will still get the same protection for $$$$ less money. The files are updated at least once a day after you install it.

And good luck to you on that one.

Well back to square 1. Panda found several infections, but still having same issues rebooting windows.

stro2997

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I don't know if he's using the actual XP OS disk or the "system start" disk that came with preloaded software in his computer. With the system start disk, you might not be able to get to the recovery console.
Good idea however, five starts and thumbs up.

I do have the re-installation cd provided by dell

using bootcfg my boot looks like this:

OS Load Options: /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal
OS Location: C:\WINDOWS

I'm not too familiar with what to do. How do I take out the safeboot. Or Should I create another boot option to choose

stro2997

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009

using bootcfg my boot looks like this:

[1] "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
OS Load Options: /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal
OS Location: C:\WINDOWS

I'm not too familiar with what to do. How do I take out the safeboot. Or Should I create another boot option to choose