ECS Mobo and Logitech G5 Mouse

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I just got back from a week long vacation where I bought my new Logitech G5 Laser mouse. My computer has been off the whole week, so I plugged in the mouse and turned it on. The POST screen for my P965T-A Mobo started, and got stuck right before the memtest. Pressed reset switch, same thing happened. Next it wouldn't turn on at all! After clearing the CMOS and rechecking every wire in the case, I tried turning it on to no avail. I just happened to try with my old microsoft mouse plugged in and guess what...it worked perfectly as usual!

I tested my theory about the mouse stopping POST and every time it only starts with the old one. Once inside windows, I plug in the G5 and it works fine. Then I get a non-explained BSOD and it starts making really loud clicking sounds over and over again-the same sound I hear when I restart my comp normally.

HELP ME

lancer_3k

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
It's your mobo, because of the old bios. The old ECS bios locks up with a USB mouse plugged in during POST.

It isn't an issue if you use a USB to PS/2 convertor and hook your mouse up through the PS/2 port, though.

I've not had a BSOD yet, but you might try the PS/2 trick... I'm not sure whether the updated BIOS resolved this because I've been using mine as a PS/2 since.

Cheers.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
It's your mobo, because of the old bios. The old ECS bios locks up with a USB mouse plugged in during POST.

It isn't an issue if you use a USB to PS/2 convertor and hook your mouse up through the PS/2 port, though.

I've not had a BSOD yet, but you might try the PS/2 trick... I'm not sure whether the updated BIOS resolved this because I've been using mine as a PS/2 since.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice! The USB mouse problem wouldn't make sense though because my Microsoft intellipoint still boots fine. Will the converter slow down the transfer speed at all? I'm also bogged down with Windows problems at the moment, and will soon perform a repair installation, so the BSOD might have had something to do with that.

lancer_3k

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
insofar as the mouse performance is concerned, I don't think that there's an issue using PS/2 over USB.

The P965T-A though is a notoriously buggy board - I'd say a bios update might do the trick cause the earlier bioses were, well, really bad. Mine still won't let me overclock, but it's a lot more stable now.

Good luck with your reinstall.. hopefully that'll fix everything. :D

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
UPDATE: I got a USB to PS/2 adaptor from my friend (which worked on his mx512) and now my G5 isn't even recognised by windows or setpoint. The light on the bottom turns on but nothing else and the pointer doesn't move.

JeffG_23

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
The G5 is not PS/2 compatible and won't be recognized as a PS/2 mouse, regardless of what kind of adapter is used. It draws too much power for a PS/2 (or serial) port.