How do I fix the drive assignment in Win XP?

I installed an external hard drive (with USB connection), which Windows XP
assigned as drive F: Then, when I re-connected my printer, XP assigned it to
drive F:, and re-assigned the hard drive to G: !! How do I make Win XP
recognise the hard drive as F: and, more important, stop it from changing?
As I have drive mappings to F: in various applications, it's very
inconvenient if it keeps changing !!

Any ideas or suggestions welcome, Richard

"rfpcarpenter" <rfpcarpenter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed an external hard drive (with USB connection), which Windows XP
> assigned as drive F: Then, when I re-connected my printer, XP assigned it
> drive F:, and re-assigned the hard drive to G: !!

Try removing the external drive and connecting the printer, then change the
printers drive letter . See "Assign, change, or remove a drive letter" in
Help and Support for instructions. Try setting it to something like P: .
Don't use Z: Y: X; etc because they are normally used by mapped network
drives.

Then reboot to confirm the printer is still P:

Then power down and reconnect the USB drive, reboot and see what it's
allocated.

I set all removable media drives (eg CDR, DVD) to L: M: N: etc so that my
hard drives are C: and D: and my USB drive is always E: