Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cannot print from vista laptop to Win7 printer

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 29, 2010 3:15:24 PM

I have a Dell GX620 with Windows 7 and a wired Canon Pixma iP4300 printer.
I also have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop on the same Homegroup, but cannot print from the laptop. I have set everything up as suggested and can `see` the printer on the laptop, but it will not print! Help!!!!! Dick.Goodman.
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2010 8:13:41 PM

Do you have the drivers installed on the laptop and file and printer share enabled?
m
l

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2010 9:02:23 PM

dont use the homegroup it is for win 7 computers only!make sure your network and sharing center has printer sharing turned on!
Related resources
June 30, 2010 4:46:11 PM

Jonmor68 said:
Do you have the drivers installed on the laptop and file and printer share enabled?

Thanks for your prompt reply and I have the latest Canon drivers installed on the Win 7 PC. I am told to install `additional` drivers on the laptop, but these do not load and, when I download the Canon driver, I cannot `browse` to it, even if I give the exact location. File and printer sharing is enabled, as instructed.
I am asked, sometimes, for a `user name` and `password` and have inserted every name and password I know, to no avail. Is it my user name for the computer, or my logon name for my ISP?
m
l
June 30, 2010 4:49:54 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
dont use the homegroup it is for win 7 computers only!make sure your network and sharing center has printer sharing turned on!

If I don`t use Homegroup, how do I set up a network? (I`ll go back to basics on the PC and try a network without it!)

Watch this space!!!!!
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2010 8:42:56 PM

right hand click share on the files or folders you want to share on each computer,then they will be visible thru your network and sharing center!
m
l
July 4, 2010 8:05:39 AM

I have tried to reply several times, but nothing seems to get through!
Thank you all for your help. Removed PC from Homegroup and re-installed the printer details on the laptop. Wizard then installed a driver on auto! All is now well so thank, again, to everyone...Dick Goodman.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
July 4, 2010 5:24:14 PM

turn off your firewall to see if that is blocking it!
m
l
July 15, 2010 8:36:49 AM

Best answer selected by Richard Goodman.
m
l
!