Solved

Cannot print from vista laptop to Win7 printer

I have a Dell GX620 with Windows 7 and a wired Canon Pixma iP4300 printer.
I also have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop on the same Homegroup, but cannot print from the laptop. I have set everything up as suggested and can `see` the printer on the laptop, but it will not print! Help!!!!! Dick.Goodman.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cannot print vista laptop win7 printer
  1. Do you have the drivers installed on the laptop and file and printer share enabled?
  2. Best answer
    dont use the homegroup it is for win 7 computers only!make sure your network and sharing center has printer sharing turned on!
  3. Jonmor68 said:
    Do you have the drivers installed on the laptop and file and printer share enabled?

Thanks for your prompt reply and I have the latest Canon drivers installed on the Win 7 PC. I am told to install `additional` drivers on the laptop, but these do not load and, when I download the Canon driver, I cannot `browse` to it, even if I give the exact location. File and printer sharing is enabled, as instructed.
    I am asked, sometimes, for a `user name` and `password` and have inserted every name and password I know, to no avail. Is it my user name for the computer, or my logon name for my ISP?
  4. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    dont use the homegroup it is for win 7 computers only!make sure your network and sharing center has printer sharing turned on!

If I don`t use Homegroup, how do I set up a network? (I`ll go back to basics on the PC and try a network without it!)

Watch this space!!!!!
  5. right hand click share on the files or folders you want to share on each computer,then they will be visible thru your network and sharing center!
  6. I have tried to reply several times, but nothing seems to get through!
    Thank you all for your help. Removed PC from Homegroup and re-installed the printer details on the laptop. Wizard then installed a driver on auto! All is now well so thank, again, to everyone...Dick Goodman.
  7. turn off your firewall to see if that is blocking it!
  8. Best answer selected by Richard Goodman.
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Laptops Windows Vista Printers