tryinghard

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum so be gentle :)
Hope I've posted in the right place, I have some trouble my new motherboard. It is (which the title states) a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4.

The symptoms:
When I press the power button the pc starts to boot. All the fans start spinning and everything looks normal. But the screen remains black and after a few seconds it tries to reboot.

I've checked everything, the GFX, the CPU, the RAM but I can't find anything wrong or out of place.

The mobo has been handled with great care since I got it. There is one thing I've done (besides fitting the standard components), I've placed a fitting for the watercooling system on the back of the motherboard. It's a H-formed fitting in metal but it rests on a H-form made out of some foam-like material. Could this mess with the motherboard it anyway? I know it sounds silly but I'm really grasping for straws now...
Or could it simply be I've gotten a faulty motherboard?

Components:
Corsair 620w power supply
Intel E6600 CPU
Intel stock CPU-ran
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard
Corsair 2 x 2GB 6400/800mhz memory
Axle 8800GTX graphics

Nothing else is connected atm. I've also tired removing all components but the cpu and cpu-fan, same result. What to do?

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Welcome to the forums!
Try to remove 1 stick of ram, see if it boots. If it doesn't, swap the other one in. If it doesn't boot again, try to install the original HSF (check for correct cpu installation by the way). Of course you will have to clean and reapply thermal paste. If this fails also, try to boot without hard disc and dvd rom(no power plugs either), only one stick of ram etc. If you get results, reconnect one by one your parts to find the culprit. If you can't make it boot, then it's either mobo (most probable) or PSU (less probable).

Good luck.

tryinghard

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, tried all that and it still wont boot, tested the power supply on another pc and that worked fine, so chances are I've gotten a crappy mobo.
Thanks for your help.

humbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Hi..

I have the same problems here.. Got my parts on saturday.. Put them together and started up.. My system rebooted after a few seconds but then it got up, so I didn't think anymore about it..

I played world of warcraft for many hours the rest of the weekend, but when I try to boot the PC up todate, it keeps rebooting by itself. It seems to crash to reboot at any time.. During bootstrapping sometimes, during initializing of OS and also sometimes after I've managed to get into the OS and start an application. Before it shuts down I often hear a click (not beep) from the PC speaker.

I've tried to set BIOS to fail-safe defaults, but to no avail.

Really annoying.. Main reason for buying new computer is to get one that was stable, as I seemed to have some unstable condensators in my old one..

humbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
One thing I noticed building this.. My CPU fan has only 3 pins, while the motherboard has a 4 pin connector.. But the hook for hooking it was not centered, so looked like it was oki to just connect a 3 pin fan to the 4 pin connector. Assume it's totally unrelated. Just mentioning it as it was the only thing I wondered about when doing the build.

I once got it into memtest with dual channel memory set up.. Then memtest eventually showed a lot of errors..

When trying to use either memory chip in socket 1 neither showed any errors. When I put both back in, the system seems to hang after it says 2GB memory OK in bootstrap.

These are my memory sticks: http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-6400PRO.pdf

Using only one of the chips now, I managed to use the computer for hours without problems.. System seems fine with only one memory chip in use..

Tried to underclock the memory too. By default BIOS sets it to 800 MHz, tried to set it to 667 MHz.. Don't even seem to have an option of running it
as low as 533 MHz, which would be 1:1 with FSB.

I can't really see how it's my PSU.. System dies early, when everything is cold and nice.. And my PSU is a 600W mist PSU that have gotten very good reviews, worked nicely before I upgraded the motherboard/memory/gfx card and has way more wattage than needed given the power calculator someone linked me here earlier. Not that I have a better suggestion of what's wrong :/..

Apart from a E6600 intel core2due CPU, I have two ata disks and a not-overclocked xfx geforce8800 gts 320MB card in the system. Shouldn't require that much power.

humbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Hmm.. Both of us seems to use the same type of memory.. Do I smell something rotten here.. Darn corsair suggested these chips for the motherboard..

tryinghard

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
After being in contact with gigabytes support and tried everything they asked me to they've told me to return the mobo to the company that sold it to me. But I still think it might be a error with the memories, I'm actually hoping it is! Would make my life a lot easier! I've asked people on another forum to test their GA-P35-DS4 with a unsupported memory to see if they get the same symptoms as me. I've alos contacted gigabyte support again and asked them to take a look at my memory again.

So far I've concluded that it can only be the memory or the mobo, I've tried EVERYTHING else, changed all components but the memory now and done all the reseting possible (in every way possible :)).
Wish me luck! I'll post here again when I get an answer from gigabyte or a user who has tested his GA-P35-DS4 with a unsupported memory.

Cheers!

wallis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
make sure that the memory is getting the correct voltage...this is a well known problem with some gigabyte mobos. the bios usually detects the memory but only gives it 1.8v but most modern memory requires between 1.9v - 2.3v. check with the manufacturer to see what your voltage should be set at and then in bios press CTRL+F1 to get into advanced memory settings and up voltage to correct setting.

i have a DS4 and i had to set my ram voltage +0.3v so the modules where running at 2.1v

some people have even had to buy a cheap memory module that can run at 1.8v just to be able to get into the bios to up the voltage...then they swap in their high performance ram.

humbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
The memorysticks I use is supposed to be able to run on 1.8V on default timings according to corsairs datasheet on the memorysticks. I failed to find what voltage the memory runs at in the BIOS, but I tried to
up it by 0.2V but that didn't change behaviour anyway..

tryinghard

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

Timing
5-5-5-18

Memory FSB

VDIMM

So it should run with 1.8v. This was however a MSI P35 Platinum mobo. But it should apply to the GA-P35-DS4 too, correct?

wallis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
try resetting CMOS and using the bare minimum of components. also plug in a speaker to the mobo header and see if you get any beep codes.

i just think its a case of early bios revision and memory compatibility problems. if you can borrow some ram from a mate to try i would advise doing this.
you have the DS4 with the new P35 chipset there and for sure its on a very early bios revision.

the old DS4 with the 965P chipset had similar memory problems that werent properly sorted out untill bios revision F4 was released, and the first boards shipped with bios F1.

so i would see if you can try some other ram in there for now and check gigabytes site for any updated bioses.

hope this helps a bit

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You HAVE fitted the H-form with the foam against the motherboard? How are you securing the standard heatsink to the motherboard? It has to be clamped tight.

Mike.

tryinghard

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
Hey mike99, I can assure you that it's all been done right and that the CPU isn't the problem, I've tested 2 CPU's and 3 coolers (watercooling, standard and one from articcooling).

The h-form is fitted, yes, according to the manual.

Edit:
To ensure that you don't suggest anything I haven't tired.

I've tested (and gotten the same symptoms):
CPU
CPU-fan
GFX
Reseting BIOS and CMOS
Tried every possible combination of RAM (using my 2x 2GB corsair ram)

It has to be a hardware failure at this point. Either the memory isn't supported or the mobo is busted. I'd put my money on a busted mobo since no other pc I've ever worked on gives me a infinite and random boot cycle without any screen output. Doesn't anyone agree with me? :p
Oh, and if I forgot something, don't suggest shit like "try wiggling the cord". I'd like to think I know what I'm doing when I'm building computers, seeing this is hardly the first one I build :p

tryinghard

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
wallis, I hereby declare you a saint! If this solves my problem I'll happily run naked through the streets shouting and praising your name!

A bit too soon to shout right now though. But this does sound like my problem, can anyone suggest some cheap RAM I can buy to try this out? Many thanks to all of you and wish me luck! :)

humbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Hi..

I bought me a set of Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G sticks. When my system booted up intially fine. Reset my bios values to defaults, and haven't detected a problem yet..

Tried to run them at 533 MHz too, to get 1:1 ratio with FSB, but then Memtest86 v1.70 detected memory failures. Now running at their default 667 MHz rate (That is, 333 MHz actually)

Hoping this has solved the issue for me.. Which I reckon mean the motherboard is working correctly, but is very sensitive to what memory you use and what settings they are at.

wallis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
keep an eye on gigabytes website for bios updates...they release new bioses regularly and they will solve a lot of memory related issues

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I am not aware (yet) of any conflicts with our memory and any of the Gigabyte MOBOs. Can you give me the complete model # of your MOBO again and also give me ALL the information from the stickers on the memory so that I can verify the ICs and revisions, etc. I'll look into this ASAP.

Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum so be gentle :)
Hope I've posted in the right place, I have some trouble my new motherboard. It is (which the title states) a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4.

The symptoms:
When I press the power button the pc starts to boot. All the fans start spinning and everything looks normal. But the screen remains black and after a few seconds it tries to reboot.

I've checked everything, the GFX, the CPU, the RAM but I can't find anything wrong or out of place.

The mobo has been handled with great care since I got it. There is one thing I've done (besides fitting the standard components), I've placed a fitting for the watercooling system on the back of the motherboard. It's a H-formed fitting in metal but it rests on a H-form made out of some foam-like material. Could this mess with the motherboard it anyway? I know it sounds silly but I'm really grasping for straws now...
Or could it simply be I've gotten a faulty motherboard?

Components:
Corsair 620w power supply
Intel E6600 CPU
Intel stock CPU-ran
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard
Corsair 2 x 2GB 6400/800mhz memory
Axle 8800GTX graphics

Nothing else is connected atm. I've also tired removing all components but the cpu and cpu-fan, same result. What to do?

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Keep in mind that also that the 2 issues listed here are with 2 VERY different sets of memory, the 1gb DIMMs of PC6400 Pro and the 2gb DIMMs of DHX6400. If we don't already have a MOBO in-house, we'll get one ASAP and test a variety of our memory to see if there is an issue. We are also in contact with Gigabyte on this.

Humbe, just FYI, your data sheet says 1.9v, not 1.8v. However, you are fine and within warranty up to 2.1v. You may want to try +.3v and see if that helps your stability with your Corsair.

Trying hard, yours seem to do best so far (on other MOBOs) with 1.9v.

tryinghard

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
Well, bought a corsair 512 mb PC5300 and the pc now boots perfectly. The beep you get on boot was like angels singing just for me :)
XMSYellowbeard, I'm tired and frustrated right now so I'm not going to get the info for you tonight. But feel free to mail me and I will get you the information you want! Corsair kicks ass and if I can help in anyway I want to!

More on this tomorrow. Night :)

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Well, bought a corsair 512 mb PC5300 and the pc now boots perfectly. The beep you get on boot was like angels singing just for me :)
XMSYellowbeard, I'm tired and frustrated right now so I'm not going to get the info for you tonight. But feel free to mail me and I will get you the information you want! Corsair kicks ass and if I can help in anyway I want to!

More on this tomorrow. Night :)
Understandable, relax and get me the info when you can. It just dawned on me, if you have the new 4096 kit, I have the info I need. Is that the kit you have, the DHX 6400 Twin2X 4096 kit?