Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade and have questions....

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 30, 2007 5:11:08 PM

Hi guys, im new here so please be patient, im sure this has been answered before but i couldnt find it. Anyway, ive had my computer for several years and deperately need an upgrade. Currently i have a Pentium 1.6G with 512 Megs Ram, a 80GB HD and a crappy video card. I use to love playing games but i havent been able to play new ones for a few years now. I started looking around for a new computer and was shocked at how things have changed, dual and quad processors? Wow. Anyway, here come the questions :) 

What is the benefit of the dual processor?

What is better for playing high end games online, the AMD 6000X2 or the Intel Duo Processor 2.6G? I heard that the AMD 6000 is basically equal to a 3G computer, does this mean it is more powerful than the Duo? I guess the thing im confused about is, if a game requires a Pentium 3.0 and i have a Duo 2.6 would i be able to run it well?

I used a configurator on IBuyPower and came up with this system, would this be suitable to play any game i want? Im interested in Supreme Commander and the new BattleField game. Would i be better with the AMD Athlon™64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core? Anything here i should change? Will having two graphics cards make that big of a difference? Im basically clueless :)  Thanks guys!

Case ( [New !!!] Nzxt Hush Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )

Power Supply ( 500 Watt -- NZXT PF-500 Power Supply )
Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2x 2.66GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) )

Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake MaxOrb CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )

Motherboard ( Asus P5N-E SLI nForce® 650i SLI Chipset w/6-channel CODEC, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB )

Memory ( 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )

Video Card ( 2X NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )

Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )

CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] 18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )

Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer )

Speaker System ( [Black] Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Speakers + Subwoofer )

Network Card ( Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card )

Keyboard ( Logitech Elite USB/PS2 Keyboard Black )

Mouse ( Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse )

Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )

Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Case Round Cable ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower )

Wireless Network Adapter ( [Special !!!] Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps PCI Adapter )

Wireless Network Access Point/Router ( Netgear WG602 802.11g 54 Mbps Wireless Access Point )

More about : upgrade questions

a b à CPUs
June 30, 2007 6:22:23 PM

Hi Dlesko,

First of all I'd like to answer your question about Clock Speeds (Megahertz) in a simple manner.

Let's look at it from a Cars perspective and say that Clockspeed = RPM's in cars.

Now let's take a look at three different cars and compare them to computer processors (CPU's).

Mazda RX8 = Pentium 4
Dodge Viper = AMD Athlon64 X2
Porsche Carrera GT = Intel Core 2 Duo

Now the Mazda RX8 is the slower of the three and it's engine has to spin at many RPM's just to perform decently (rotary engine). This is much like the Pentium 4. Although the Pentium 4 may be clocked at 3GHz it needs high clocks because it's inefficient. In other words it does less work per clock then either the Athlon64 X2 or the Intel Core 2 Duo.

The Dodge Viper is a fast car but simply outclassed by the far more efficient Porshe Carrera GT at the same RPM. Much like the Athlon64 X2 is simply outclassed by the Intel Core 2 Duo at the same Clockspeed. The Core 2 Duo just does soo much work per MHz that it's the fastest even at 2.66GHz (vs the other two being clocked at 3GHz).

Does this make sense?

See even if a game asks for a Pentium 4 3GHz and you have a Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz you can easily run the game because your Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz is more efficient per clock and would perform like a Pentium 4 5GHz.
June 30, 2007 6:28:47 PM

Wow ElMoIsEviL, that is one of the best explanations ive read, makes total sense and i appreciate it. As for the rest of the computer i built with the configurator, does it seem decent? The price with shipping is just over $1800.00. Any changes you would make?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2007 6:32:50 PM

You are gonna get a lot of good advice...but here is my 2 cents worth right off the top of my head.
Yes, get a Core duo processor. 2 cores are better than 1
For gaming, 4 cores is overkill, for now and the near future anyway.
A 2.6ghz Intel Core Duo processor will literally and unquestionably simply mop the floor and walk away from a Pentium at 3.0. The new dual core processors do 2 times the work per clock cycle than the older Pentium style processors- with only 1 core....then add a second core....well you get the picture.
You won't need a network card, most all new motherboards have that onboard.
Get the fastest single video card you can afford, then if need be get another one and go SLI. Start with an 8800gtx if you are building a hard core game rig. A single faster card is always better than 2 slower cards.
A better power supply, at least 650 watts- and make sure it is Nvidia SLI approved.
If you are building mainly for gaming, stick with XP for now.

Oh, and the onboard sound on todays better motherboards is actually quite good. You could save a little by not getting the sound card unless you are just really, really picky about sound.
June 30, 2007 6:51:51 PM

I would make few suggestion to yoru upgrade:

1. the things listed isn't upgrade, it's a new system.
2. Get a 700W or more powersupply if you're using an SLI 8500GT
If you buy a single 8800GTS, it would cost less than 2 8500gt and perform just as well
3. Get Thermalright Ultra extrememe or Tuniq tower instead of TT maxorb. Those 2 cooler is better than Maxorb and can let your CPU overclock highier.

4, Buy motherboard with P965 or P35 Chipset if you're not using SLI as it overclocks highier than I680 chipset ones. Good motherboard are Gigabyte DS3R, Asus P5k Deluxe, Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi( it includes wifi cards built it). P35 and P965 chipset also has up to 3x better performance in Raid than I680 chipset.

5. You should get Crucial Bullistix PC6400 CL4 from Newegg. They're only 70$ after rebate, its a steal. Corsair Value ram are ****. They're worthless compared to Crucial Bullistix premium line and Corsair XMS2 premium.

4. Harddrives: You can buy 2x Samsung spin point 250gb harddrive and set those 2 harddrive as RAID 10. It has great performance+ reliability. Even if one of your hard drive fails, your critical data will still be intact. It also benefit in game loading time because fast data access. It's also cheaper to buy 2x 250gb ones than 500gb.

5. You should not buy DVD-Rom. You can buy a DVD-RW for less than 35$. DVD rom sometimes cost more.

Quote:
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***]
LOL there's nothing special about it. Every DVD-RW drive is CD-RW capable. Just buy 2x DVD-RW if you need 2 drives.

7. YOu don't need a network card. ALl (99.99999%) of the motherboards you buy right now comes with integrated network card.

8. YOu don't need round cables. There's no need to round SATA cables because you just don't need to.
Quote:
Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower

WOW, why don't you become a professional at pluging in cables? YOu can learn that in 1 minute and become a great professional.

Quote:
Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 (2x 2.66GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) )

I suggest you buying a E6600 after the price drop or Q6600. Do you want to play supreme Commander or Crysis, Quad core cpu will help you reach ultimate performance.
June 30, 2007 8:02:51 PM

Quote:
Harddrives: You can buy 2x Samsung spin point 250gb harddrive and set those 2 harddrive as RAID 10. It has great performance+ reliability. Even if one of your hard drive fails, your critical data will still be intact. It also benefit in game loading time because fast data access. It's also cheaper to buy 2x 250gb ones than 500gb.

RAID is cool but there needs to be a reason to run an array. If I just had two drives in a rig, I'd avoid RAID unless having fulltime redundancy was critical. The 2x250 vs. 500GB argument doesn't apply here because with RAID1 or 10, you're only going to realize 250GB of usable space. If you need a redundant storage space, consider having the OS on one drive, like maybe an 80, then run your RAID on larger drives like 320s or 500s.
July 5, 2007 2:53:21 PM

Thanks guys, after reading the advice here and doing some research this is what i went with. Will this be able to run most games maxed out? Thanks for the help:

CAS: Hot New! CoolerMaster Mystique 632 Tower 420W Case [-34] (Black Color)

CASUPGRADE: 12in COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT [+10] (RED COLOR)

S_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan [+3] (3 x Fans [+6])

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 CPU @ 2.66GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T [+166]

CD: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

FAN: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling System (Superior Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dba)

HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+50])

KEYBOARD: PS2 Microsoft® (BLACK) MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD [+6]

MOUSE: Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse [+36]

MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) ECS P965T-A P965 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio [-20]

MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader [+45])

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium (64-bit Edition [+19])

POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies [+87] (Ultra ATX Power Supply 700 Watts XVS Modular [-57])

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS: Logitech X-230 2.1 Configuration Speakers System [-18]

TEMP: THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER [+12] (BLACK COLOR)

USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express [+285] (XFX Extreme Edition Powered by NVIDIA [+28])

WAP: Netgear WGT624 Super G 108Mbps Cable Router [+68]
July 5, 2007 5:22:35 PM

Reconsider your O/S and your CPU
July 5, 2007 5:43:07 PM

Um..ok..can you tell me why at least :) . I understand the reasons behind the o/s but why the CPU?
July 5, 2007 6:05:41 PM

Why a E6700? why not a E6850 or a Q6600(If you're too scared to Overclock), they're gonna be pretty cheap in 2-3 Weeks even a E6700 is a 8800GTX Bottleneck @ 2.6Ghz
And who uses Vista lately? If you still are going Vista and you go with 64-bit, there aren't many good drivers out for them yet, you'll have to use the 32-bit Vista ones on some of them.
July 5, 2007 6:42:03 PM

because i dont want to spend over $2000 on a system......as for the Vista 64, that i understand and after doing some more research on it i am in the process of switcing to the 32.
July 5, 2007 6:59:25 PM

You won't spend 2000$ on a System. What made you think that? a E6850 and a Q6600 are going to be priced about what the E6700 Currently costs in 2 Weeks(after a planned massive Intel Price drop)
!