Sign in with
Your question

Adding disk space

Last response: in Windows XP
December 2, 2009 5:29:47 AM

I have 1 GB left in my C drive and 19 GB left in my D drive.Is it possible if i want to move the 19 GB from the D drive to C drive?

More about : adding disk space

December 2, 2009 4:41:20 PM

Yes you can, but this process isn't really move the space. The only thing that you need to do are this step:

start, right click on my pc, manage, disk manager. I the disk manager, select the disk with 1GB (C drive), right click and resize.

The disk manager give to you the option to add the space in D to C, just select the size that you want to add and Ok.

This process also can be development with acronis or partition magic.
m
l
December 2, 2009 5:43:35 PM

That will work only if your D: drive is a partition from the same disk as the C: drive.
If that is the case clean and defragment your drives so the space available is maximized.

I think that you can also do what saint suggested using the partition editor on the Ubuntu Live CD.
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2009 5:52:36 PM

dunklegend said:
That will work only if your D: drive is a partition from the same disk as the C: drive.
If that is the case clean and defragment your drives so the space available is maximized.

I think that you can also do what saint suggested using the partition editor on the Ubuntu Live CD.

----------------

Not really true, also work in partitions from diferents disks.
m
l
December 2, 2009 6:01:25 PM

saint19 said:
----------------

Not really true, also work in partitions from diferents disks.

How does it work, if the space is in two different pieces of hardware?
m
l
December 2, 2009 6:18:41 PM

Quote:

It's called disk spanning. It works on non-system disks only.
I did that on a computer once. I took 3 10GB drives and made it into 1 30GB drive.
m
l
December 2, 2009 6:25:38 PM

sturm said:
Quote:

It's called disk spanning. It works on non-system disks only.
I did that on a computer once. I took 3 10GB drives and made it into 1 30GB drive.

------------------------

Right, spanning volumens. Usually is used in servers (i use at home and my job)
m
l
December 2, 2009 6:33:10 PM

I learned something new today.

Would you recommend doing that?

What are the potential problems?
m
l
December 2, 2009 6:44:30 PM

Personally, if you are that low on disk space I would look into getting a bigger drive and either reinstalling the OS or cloning the c drive over to the new drive using the larger partition.
Messing with the OS partition can be messy if things go wrong.
m
l
December 2, 2009 7:12:05 PM

dunklegend said:
I learned something new today.

Would you recommend doing that?

What are the potential problems?

---------------------------

1- Usually is doing 'cause is the most fast solution to problems space. You can do this while you delete some files or programs that aren't necessary from the principal drive.

2- The big problem is that the spanned disk fail, in this case you will lose some files, programs and others configurations that you do in the spanned drive.
m
l
December 2, 2009 8:48:20 PM

saint19 said:
---------------------------

1- Usually is doing 'cause is the most fast solution to problems space. You can do this while you delete some files or programs that aren't necessary from the principal drive.

2- The big problem is that the spanned disk fail, in this case you will lose some files, programs and others configurations that you do in the spanned drive.

That's what I thought, and with the prices on hard drives right now, I don't think it's worth it.
m
l
!