Adding disk space

I have 1 GB left in my C drive and 19 GB left in my D drive.Is it possible if i want to move the 19 GB from the D drive to C drive?
10 answers Last reply
More about adding disk space
  1. Yes you can, but this process isn't really move the space. The only thing that you need to do are this step:

start, right click on my pc, manage, disk manager. I the disk manager, select the disk with 1GB (C drive), right click and resize.

The disk manager give to you the option to add the space in D to C, just select the size that you want to add and Ok.

This process also can be development with acronis or partition magic.
  2. That will work only if your D: drive is a partition from the same disk as the C: drive.
    If that is the case clean and defragment your drives so the space available is maximized.

I think that you can also do what saint suggested using the partition editor on the Ubuntu Live CD.
  3. dunklegend said:
    That will work only if your D: drive is a partition from the same disk as the C: drive.
    If that is the case clean and defragment your drives so the space available is maximized.

I think that you can also do what saint suggested using the partition editor on the Ubuntu Live CD.

----------------

Not really true, also work in partitions from diferents disks.
  4. saint19 said:
    ----------------

Not really true, also work in partitions from diferents disks.

How does it work, if the space is in two different pieces of hardware?
  5. Quote:

It's called disk spanning. It works on non-system disks only.
    I did that on a computer once. I took 3 10GB drives and made it into 1 30GB drive.
  6. sturm said:
    Quote:

It's called disk spanning. It works on non-system disks only.
    I did that on a computer once. I took 3 10GB drives and made it into 1 30GB drive.

------------------------

Right, spanning volumens. Usually is used in servers (i use at home and my job)
  7. I learned something new today.

Would you recommend doing that?

What are the potential problems?
  8. Personally, if you are that low on disk space I would look into getting a bigger drive and either reinstalling the OS or cloning the c drive over to the new drive using the larger partition.
    Messing with the OS partition can be messy if things go wrong.
  9. dunklegend said:
    I learned something new today.

Would you recommend doing that?

What are the potential problems?

---------------------------

1- Usually is doing 'cause is the most fast solution to problems space. You can do this while you delete some files or programs that aren't necessary from the principal drive.

2- The big problem is that the spanned disk fail, in this case you will lose some files, programs and others configurations that you do in the spanned drive.
  10. saint19 said:
    ---------------------------

1- Usually is doing 'cause is the most fast solution to problems space. You can do this while you delete some files or programs that aren't necessary from the principal drive.

2- The big problem is that the spanned disk fail, in this case you will lose some files, programs and others configurations that you do in the spanned drive.

That's what I thought, and with the prices on hard drives right now, I don't think it's worth it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Disk Space Windows XP