Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cannot read from the source file or disk

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 2, 2009 12:13:25 PM

I have a folder on my C drive that does not have a name. I am unable to move or delete, or rename the folder. It contains no sub-folders or files. I get the message " cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source file or disk.

More about : read source file disk

December 2, 2009 3:17:18 PM

Try doing it in safe mode.

See if there are any hidden files in it.
Score
December 9, 2009 10:48:55 AM

I tried doing it in safe mode but got the same results. There are no hidden files. I also downloaded some "boot delete" software but that did not work either.
Score
Related resources
December 9, 2009 12:07:07 PM

Are you Administrator? Have a look at who owns the directory. If it's not Administrator try taking ownership of it, and all subfolders and objects. You may be able to see the contents then.

If the Administrator does not own a folder then, depending upon the permissions on that folder, it is possible that they may not be able to see its contents.
Score
December 9, 2009 12:28:58 PM

I am the administrator. The folder is not "read only". When I created this folder, the system gives the name "new folder". When I tried to rename the folder, I accidentally hit the "enter" key before entering a new name. The end result was a folder with no name which I am not able to delete. There have never been any files or subfolders in this folder.
Score

Best solution

December 9, 2009 12:45:46 PM

Sorry - I misunderstood. Have a look at this thread, particularly responses 14 and 17 to see if they help.

(BTW - Windows 7 doesn't let you create an unnamed folder in this way.)
December 13, 2009 5:33:04 PM

I was finally able to delete the folder.
Here's the command I used:( from a command shell)

rd /s C:/"."
I think the dot in the command structure acts like a wild card, So It's important that no other file or folder exists along side of the folder I was trying to delete. Before running the command, I suggest moving all other files to a temp directory until you are rid of the file or folder in question, then move them back.
It's good to hear that Windows 7 won't ley you create an unnamed folder.
Score
December 13, 2009 5:35:11 PM

I don't know how thw smiley faced got in there, but please ignore them.
Score
December 13, 2009 5:57:46 PM

The "." in your command actually refers to the current directory. So it's saying "delete the current directory and all subdirectories". But it won't be able to delete the current directory itself as you have it open in the command prompt, just the subdirectories. Interesting that this works.
Score
December 13, 2009 6:10:00 PM

I don't think I understand it fully, but the bottom line is I'm rid for the folder and that makess me happy. Thanks for your help!
Score
October 28, 2012 5:25:16 AM

Ijack said:
The "." in your command actually refers to the current directory. So it's saying "delete the current directory and all subdirectories". But it won't be able to delete the current directory itself as you have it open in the command prompt, just the subdirectories. Interesting that this works.

@Ijack:I was facing the problem of "cannot read from source file or disk" while deleting a folder named "lotus".
I have a folder in my drive D with name "External Downloads".This folder contained a folder called "lotus".This folder(lotus) didnot contained anything in it.The problem I was facing was that I was unable to delete this folder named "louts".
So I opened up command prompt and entered to the location D:\External Downloads\ and typed command "dir".
By this command the folder "lotus" must be displayed but actually it did not.Directories with following names were shown:( 2 directories were shown but there was only one in it,and that one is not shown)
1."."(without quotes)
2".."(without quotes)
I used "del" command to delete the folder with these names and as a result the folder named "lotus" was deleted.
Any help, why this folder was not shown in the dir command display?
Score
!