Multi thread detection and exicution

( I tried to log into the software forum but got rejected for some cookie problem ??? since this is a hardware and software question, I came here) I am about to get a dual/quad core CPU (used with an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe so the CPU will be AMD)... I use windows 98 and XP ... I also write my own software and I am using M$ Visual C++ 6.0 ... It seems to me the VC++6 will support multi threads ... ? will windows 98 detect the multi cpu and be able to take advantage of the dual core ... I do think windows XP will ... thanks in advance for your help
Jim
5 answers Last reply
More about multi thread detection exicution
  1. I'm not completely sure, but I believe that windows 98 is not smp compatible and won't recognize more than one core, I believe you'd need at least windows 2000 for that.
  2. Like the guy above said, window 98 wont recongize more than 1 core, but you try downloading Wmware to emulate windows 98 under windows xp. It *might* let you use 2 or 4cores under windows 98. Windows 98 won't recongnize, meaning it doesn't support, any core2duos or core2quads. Thus the only way to get your windows 98 working under c2d and c2q is to setup a virtual machine.
  3. Quote:
    Like the guy above said, window 98 wont recongize more than 1 core, but you try downloading Wmware to emulate windows 98 under windows xp. It *might* let you use 2 or 4cores under windows 98. Windows 98 won't recongnize, meaning it doesn't support, any core2duos or core2quads. Thus the only way to get your windows 98 working under c2d and c2q is to setup a virtual machine.

98 will run in vmware under a c2d, I have tested this myself, however it still can't utilize both cores.

p62982q, can I ask why you need to run a multi-threaded program in 98 anyway? :?
  4. Quote:
    Like the guy above said, window 98 wont recongize more than 1 core, but you try downloading Wmware to emulate windows 98 under windows xp. It *might* let you use 2 or 4cores under windows 98. Windows 98 won't recongnize, meaning it doesn't support, any core2duos or core2quads. Thus the only way to get your windows 98 working under c2d and c2q is to setup a virtual machine.

98 will run in vmware under a c2d, I have tested this myself, however it still can't utilize both cores.

p62982q, can I ask why you need to run a multi-threaded program in 98 anyway? :?
    Thanks for the responses ... Jacklou923 ... I don't need to run dual cores with windows 98 ... but if it would do c2d I would do it and my software could work a wider number of OS's ... I think W-98 uses time slices to emulate multi threads ... thanks ... good responses from this group ... Jim
  5. W98 should boot up with C2D/C2Q; it's just that you'll run off one core and have 4MB L2 cache.

But A8N32-SLI is an older socket 939 board for Athlon64. Barcelona isn't expected for socket 939 but rather the newer AM2.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Software