Message when trying to upgrade to XP Pro

wcstech

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I've got this computer that is running Windows XP Home and it is causing big headaches for me on our network (mainly because the user/owner of it has the computer literacy skills of a well-trained monkey :??: ). I want to upgrade it to XP Pro rather than continue to buy aspirin by the case to deal with the thing. However, when I put the upgrade CD into the drive I get a message that my "current version of Windows is newer" than the upgrade and therefore it won't let me install the upgrade. My only option appears to be to start over with a fresh install. This really isn't an option for me as this machine is owned by the end user, not the company, and I don't want to deal with her panicking that I'll delete all her stuff (nevermind that she only used 3 of the literally hundreds of programs installed on the thing and her files are largely on the network). Obviously I have a user problem here as well. :sarcastic:

My question is this, how do I get it to upgrade without doing a fresh install, or at the very least do a fresh install without wiping the thing? And even better yet, how can the version of Home on a 5+ year old computer be newer than the XP upgrade I purchased 2 months ago?

TechSavvy

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I'd suggest an in-place upgrade. Follow the link to the MS KB Article on how to do that.

"Method 2: Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD" would probably be your best bet. Do read the Article fully before trying this as it could leave the system broken.

I suggest a full backup prior to trying this in-place upgrade just in case :)