Intel D865PESO-WB require a floppy drive to install BIOS?

Kerrith

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Does the Intel D865PESO-WB require a floppy drive to install its BIOS?

I'm considering getting a Intel D865PESO-WB MOBO to replace my dying ASUS P4P800SE. Part of why I don't want to get another ASUS MOBO is because it requires a floppy to install/upgrade its BIOS, RAID, etc.. ASUS still hasn't updated its Windows BIOS upgrade tool for Vista. Its BIOS for Vista is still in beta. ASUS techs don't monitor their forum and they have not answered my emails.

With the help of some tg Forumz member support I arrived at that the Intel Intel D865PESO-WB can replace my AGP ASUS quite nicely, but... I can't find out if it requires a floppy to install the BIOS.

Experience?

Thanks,

Kerry

bridonca

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
I have burned DOS boot disks with extra data with nero using CDRW disks. You would still need a computer with floppy drive, nero and a burner to make such a disk though.

I found a link using yahoo. Intel offers you a choice of flashing the bios using a dos based utility or while in windows. I wouldn't flash it unless you have specific issues with your cpu. Also, the program may not work with vista.

Kerrith

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Thanks o1die,

Yes, that's the way ASUS worked. I believe (I could be wrong) that for the initial BIOS install it had to be done via a floppy. Then ASUS didn't update their Flash Utility so that it worked with Vista. Their last BIOS has been in beta for 6 over months.

I guess what I'm looking for is a MOBO company that serves its Vista customers. I'll keep looking.

Thanks so much for your support. There's a pony here somewhere :D

Kerry