Best defrag software

len_33

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Depending on the "Expert you speak to" they all have their own opinions. One tells me to defrag daily, another tells my it will damage the hard drive to defrag daily and should not defrag more than once a week. What is the correct answer.PLEASE.
Len

Solution
Defrag as needed - I'd say check once a month or so, or once a week if you regularly make a lot of changes to files; every day is way over the top. The check will advise you whether defragmentation is necessary.

However, unless you have a SSD, defragmentation is not going to harm your hard drive.
Defrag as needed - I'd say check once a month or so, or once a week if you regularly make a lot of changes to files; every day is way over the top. The check will advise you whether defragmentation is necessary.

However, unless you have a SSD, defragmentation is not going to harm your hard drive.

Solution

Seker

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I usually defrag after any major installs or uninstalls, or if I've moved or copied a lot of files around. Depending on what type of defrag I want and how fast I want it to take, I switch between Microsoft's contig (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428.aspx) using Power Defragmenter as the GUI interface (if you're on XP use version 2 of PD; if on a newer OS use version 3). If I want something a little more powerful, but slightly slower (though not slow compared to many other defrag programs) and love seeing the graphical display of blocks being moved, I use Defraggler (http://www.piriform.com/defraggler).

len_33

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Please excuse my ignorance but ackronyms mean nothing to me and the computer is similar to going to a foreign country and not knowing the language and asking for directions, but I thank you for your response.
Len

len_33

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
IJack: the unfortunate thing is that the comment was not directed particullary at you personally, after reading the replies there were so many references using ackronyms I was totally confused. But I do thank you for clarifing the ssd for me as I wasn't aware of that either. The only thing high end about my computer is where I have it placed.(Ha,Ha).
Len
P.S. I have a question you may have an answer for and that, is how to find the protocols for the forum. Would be appreciated if possible.
Hope your ready for the Holidays if you celebrate and the best to you and yours if you do.

len_33

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

Regardless of how you celebrate I can only thank you for your quick response which is truly appreciated, even though it doesn't address my querie. If your able to forward the querie to others in the know, it would be appreciated. I tried to post an initiated request regarding those of us that do not have the computer knowledge but received no response whatsoever. But once again , I truly thank you for your response.
Len