cybertronix

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
Hey all

My computer has slowed down considerably lately so I've acquired a 64 GB Solid State Drive, cloned the C drive to it and am now using it as my main drive. The old C drive is currently disconnected.

Seeing that the new drive is only 64 GB and also that it hasn't made that much of a difference in performance (apart from booting up times), I am considering UNINSTALLING most programs that run from it and just placing shortcuts on the desktop to the old drive.

I would obviously perform a fresh clone right before doing this!

My question: Will this set-up work ? Will my PC be comfortable running, essentially, two Windows Vista OS on the same machine?

What would be the alternative? I've read that I should format the old drive and re-install the programs on C drive but choose the other drive as the installation destination. I would like to avoid having to do this because it would take a lot of work (backing up the program's databases, reinstalling the programs, updates, etc, etc etc).

Main applications used are:

SAGE (accounting software that involves SQL databases on our office server, which I wont touch, ie, I will leave this program alone)

MS Office (this can be moved)

MAIL (this can also be moved)

I would also move this file to the "slave" drive

pagefile.sys

One final question: Would there be another way to speed up my pc foregoing the above?

System Specs;

OS Vista™ Home Basic
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2160 @ 1.80GHz, 1800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4,00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3,24 GB
Available Physical Memory 1,82 GB
Total Virtual Memory 13,0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11,2 GB
Page File Space 9,77 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks!

Jonmor68

Distinguished
"SAGE (accounting software that involves SQL databases on our office server, which I wont touch, ie, I will leave this program alone)"
Then the only thing for you to do is go back to using the original drive.

All programs would need to be reinstalled, either on your new drive or the old one, you can't use them from the other drive as they are now. When programs are installed they make changes to the registry.

While you have two instalations of the OS, one on each drive, only the one is active, they don't both run at the same time.