Saving Same View Format for all Folders - how to ?

I may have asked this before, either I forget the answer or never got one.
How do you save the same View format for all folders? I'm breaking in a new
laptop and every time I open a folder the files and subfolders are shown as
Icons. It's driving me nuts because I prefer Lists. Can anyone save my
sanity? Thanks, Denzil.
4 answers Last reply
More about saving view format folders

    Denzil Hathway wrote:
    > I may have asked this before, either I forget the answer or never got
    > one. How do you save the same View format for all folders? I'm
    > breaking in a new laptop and every time I open a folder the files and
    > subfolders are shown as Icons. It's driving me nuts because I prefer
    > Lists. Can anyone save my sanity?

    Your sanity is already to close to the edge if this will drive you over.
    *grin*

    Close ALL Windows/Internet Explorer windows..

    Open Windows Explorer.
    Choose View --> (Whatever view you like best)
    (Heck, Choose View --> Status Bar to toggle that too, look at the bottom of
    the window - see which one you like best.)

    Tools --> Folder Options
    General Tab
    (Change whatever you want here.. For example: Show Common Tasks in
    Folders)

    Tools --> Folder Options
    View tab
    (Change whatever check boxes you want here..)
    THEN - Click on Apply to all Folders
    Answer to the positive for whatever questions..

    Close Windows Explorer..
    Open Windows Explorer...

    That do it for you?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    I thank those that answered. I got it going alright by using the Set View
    then Folder Options in Tools ... as recommended. Funny, when I did it
    through Folder Options in Control Panel my View selection wouldn't hold.
    Thanks guys. Denzil.

    ====================

    "Denzil Hathway" <hathway@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I may have asked this before, either I forget the answer or never got one.
    > How do you save the same View format for all folders? I'm breaking in a
    new
    > laptop and every time I open a folder the files and subfolders are shown
    as
    > Icons. It's driving me nuts because I prefer Lists. Can anyone save my
    > sanity? Thanks, Denzil.

    Type
    view folders
    in help and it will tell you.

    "Denzil Hathway" <hathway@cox.net> wrote in message news:_oJue.1433$8o.290@fed1read03...
    >I may have asked this before, either I forget the answer or never got one.
    > How do you save the same View format for all folders? I'm breaking in a new
    > laptop and every time I open a folder the files and subfolders are shown as
    > Icons. It's driving me nuts because I prefer Lists. Can anyone save my
    > sanity? Thanks, Denzil.

    You can't do it through Folder Options in Control Panel. It's greyed out. Unless you choose it from the View menu in which case you set the default for Control Panels not normal folders..

    "Denzil Hathway" <hathway@cox.net> wrote in message news:beLue.2074$8o.713@fed1read03...
    >I thank those that answered. I got it going alright by using the Set View
    > then Folder Options in Tools ... as recommended. Funny, when I did it
    > through Folder Options in Control Panel my View selection wouldn't hold.
    > Thanks guys. Denzil.

    > "Denzil Hathway" <hathway@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> I may have asked this before, either I forget the answer or never got one.
    >> How do you save the same View format for all folders? I'm breaking in a
    > new
    >> laptop and every time I open a folder the files and subfolders are shown
    > as
    >> Icons. It's driving me nuts because I prefer Lists. Can anyone save my
    >> sanity? Thanks, Denzil.

Microsoft Format Windows XP