Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Serious help needed-Upgrading from X1950Xt to 8800GTS

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 1, 2007 12:36:57 PM

Hi Lads.



I have a serious dilemma. It isnt a hardware malfunction or anything, I am just caught in 2 minds.

Now, heres the story, please read it as i really need help with it:

2 months ago I upgraded from my X1300 to a Sapphire X1950XT 512MB. I went for the 512mb version because I have a 22" monitor so I need to run high resolutions, mainly 1680x1050. Now, I spent £150 on that, which is alot of money seeing as I am only 14, but just after I bought it there is the introduction of DX10 and such like. Now, I am running windows XP and are not looking to upgrade, however I AM going to purchase Crysis (I dont think its a Vista only game. If i need Vista for DX10 to work plase say).
Now, the big question I am asking myself is should I sell my X1950XT and buy a 8800GTS which is DX10. I dont want to spend more than £200, and there is so many different version of the 8800GTS. According to PC Format, the Foxconn 8800GTS 320MB is best, and is £199 and overclocks to be better than the 640MB version.
I have been looking at the Foxconn one I just mentioned.




So, is it worth selling my DX9 card to buy a DX10 card which is also perhaps slightly better for not much more money? If it helps I play BF2142 and Test Drive Unlimited on MAX settings including AA with my current card, and the main games I am looking to buy and preferably play well on is Crysis and Frontlines: Fuel of War.

Thanks! :D 

More about : needed upgrading x1950xt 8800gts

July 1, 2007 1:04:06 PM

Quote:
If i need Vista for DX10 to work plase say


DX10 will only work with Vista, that said there will be a version of DirectX, DX9 L which will give some DX10 funtionality to DX9 hardware under Vista. The 8800 will be much faster than the card your using now and if the videos of Crysis are any indication your going to need all the power you can get for that game. Crysis, just as all games, will be completely XP and DX9 compatable. Game developers realize the large installed user base and wouldn't limit themselves to those with only the best or most recent hardware.

Quote:
2 months ago I upgraded from my X1300 to a Sapphire X1950XT 512MB.

Quote:
but just after I bought it there is the introduction of DX10 and such like.


The DX10 G80 core was released about 7-8 months ago.
July 1, 2007 1:49:14 PM

Quote:
Hi Lads.



I have a serious dilemma. It isnt a hardware malfunction or anything, I am just caught in 2 minds.

Now, heres the story, please read it as i really need help with it:

2 months ago I upgraded from my X1300 to a Sapphire X1950XT 512MB. I went for the 512mb version because I have a 22" monitor so I need to run high resolutions, mainly 1680x1050. Now, I spent £150 on that, which is alot of money seeing as I am only 14, but just after I bought it there is the introduction of DX10 and such like. Now, I am running windows XP and are not looking to upgrade, however I AM going to purchase Crysis (I dont think its a Vista only game. If i need Vista for DX10 to work plase say).
Now, the big question I am asking myself is should I sell my X1950XT and buy a 8800GTS which is DX10. I dont want to spend more than £200, and there is so many different version of the 8800GTS. According to PC Format, the Foxconn 8800GTS 320MB is best, and is £199 and overclocks to be better than the 640MB version.
I have been looking at the Foxconn one I just mentioned.




So, is it worth selling my DX9 card to buy a DX10 card which is also perhaps slightly better for not much more money? If it helps I play BF2142 and Test Drive Unlimited on MAX settings including AA with my current card, and the main games I am looking to buy and preferably play well on is Crysis and Frontlines: Fuel of War.

Thanks! :D 


Don't know about frontlines,but,crysis will play quite well on dx9,as has already been stated about dx10 is vista only,and furthermore a lot of blokes are having major problems right now with same,remember" leading bleeding "is mostly bleeding,suggest you hold onto your hard earned $wag for a while longer and see what shakes out,it can't get worse now ,can it??:) )
Related resources
July 1, 2007 2:09:17 PM

Ok thanks for the replies. Keep em coming :D 

www.fallingleafsystems.com are making patches to make Vista games work with XP and stuff to do with Vista and DX10, so I dunno if you wanna check that out
July 2, 2007 2:19:41 PM

Quote:
www.fallingleafsystems.com are making patches to make Vista games work with XP and stuff to do with Vista and DX10, so I dunno if you wanna check that out


Interesting but you have to realize that this time next year the 8800GTX will be a mid-range card and Vista will most likely overtake XP. If you have XP and a good DX9 card (which you do) there really isn't any reason to buy anything at this point. Wait till the end of the year and ask Santa for the new Nvidia 9000GTXGT Ultimate Ultra, or whatever card ends up coming out between now and then, for Christmas. Crysis should play just fine on your card although you might have to turn some of the settings down. Crysis won't be out until about Sep-Oct and by that time who knows what the best card available will be and at what price.
July 2, 2007 2:31:51 PM

Quote:
I play BF2142 and Test Drive Unlimited on MAX settings including AA with my current card, and the main games I am looking to buy and preferably play well on is Crysis and Frontlines: Fuel of War.


You said it yourself. Your current card plays all your games well, with AA enabled. By the time Crysis and Frontlines: FOW are released, there should be better graphics cards available, making the 8800 obsolete.

There is no reason to upgrade IMO.
July 2, 2007 3:24:37 PM

Well I was thinkinh I should wait for more DX10 cards to come out but then my one will drop in price and I will get less money for it.


Basically what I want is a DX10 card, no more than £200, that will treat me well in the long run and that will handle games like Crysis on better than low graphics, perferably before my card loses too much value.


Hmmmm....
July 2, 2007 4:25:23 PM

Keep you current card and buy a new one when Crysis comes out.
July 9, 2007 9:45:26 PM

The only quality difference between dx 9 and 10 for crysis is about 10 or utmost 15 percent. also till the next-gen consoles(after X360 and PS3) come out approximately all the games will support DX9 on PC so it's better for you to buy a DX10 graphics card just right now or wait for 5 other years for DX11 release in the same time as Microsoft's next operating system.
Got it?
July 9, 2007 10:45:14 PM

You have a good 512 mb card and a 22" widescreen. Upgrading from the 1950 xt to a 8800 GTS 320 mb in your situation makes little sense.

Save your money and buy a next gen card when they come out.
!