Hot spot hopper... What to get?

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Well, in my country broadband over 1Mbps is very expensive (for me at least) so I heard there are network adapters and special antennas and/or signal amplifiers that can get you some miles of range. Since near me are some public places I could connect to with a lot of bandwidth, I was wondering what hardware I could get to have the best possible range (less than 200$ preferably)? All I have is a PC, no network adapter, antenna, etc.

I'll appreciate some links

Thanks.

G

You need a high-gain directional antenna with a plug compatible with your wireless adapter -- which usually means having a PCI card in a desktop computer.

However before you invest I would take a laptop to these public wireless places and see whether you need to pay to access them and how strong the signal is.

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
You need a high-gain directional antenna with a plug compatible with your wireless adapter -- which usually means having a PCI card in a desktop computer.

However before you invest I would take a laptop to these public wireless places and see whether you need to pay to access them and how strong the signal is.

Thanks man, maybe you could give me some recommendations.
About the access, its installed by the government, so its completely free and free access.

G

Almost any PCI card wireless adapter will work fine as most use chipsets from the same small number of chip manufacturers. But check that the one you choose has a removable antenna with one of the standard screw-plug/socket types.

Personally I use Netgear (though Linksys, Dlink are just as well regarded) the difference between them and the cheap unbranded models is only that
the big brands offer better online support -- and will still be around in future to supply driver and firmware updates.

Google or have a look on e-bay for suppliers of hi-gain directional antennas -- just make sure you specify the socket type when ordering.

Bear in mind that the extra gain is at the price of directionality -- in other words you have to point the antenna very accurately and have some way of keeping it pointed in that direction. Note that too long a lead between antenna and wireless adapter may cause signal loss.