Local policy forbids remote logon

June 24, 2005 1:52:08 AM

I now have a nice 802.11g wireless access point. I want to sit out on my porch and answer
email and browse newsgroups. But when I try to use remote desktop, I get a note that I am
unable to log on because local policy does not permit remote logons. Yet, as
administrator, I have indicated that I, as my normal login account, as my administrator
account, and as my restricted login account, am a member of the remote desktop users, and
that I allow remote connections to the machine. Unfortunately, like most of these
messages, it refers me to my "network administrator", which is ME, and I cannot find out
the answers, because every source of information also refers me to my network
administrator. Any clue as to why I can't use remote desktop? (Note that on another
machine which appears to be configured identically, I *can* use remote desktop!)
joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
June 24, 2005 10:02:45 AM

Hi Joe,

As you are using WinXP Pro, check the group policy. Start/run gpedit.msc,
expand:

Local Computer Policy
Computer Configuration
Administrative Templates
Windows Components
Terminal Services

Check the entry for allowing users to connect remotely.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone