Sign in with
Your question

Current best IDE DVD-ROM for the money on the market?

Last response: in Storage
July 1, 2007 4:46:45 PM

'lo all.

Asking what the current best DVD-ROM is, for reading, not burning...

My Mom's old eMachines DVD+/-RW isn't reading as many DVDs as it used to... though it burns decent enough. Further, it's not SATA, but IDE... have to check on if the mobo supports ATA133 or not.

So... the question comes down to... what's the best IDE DVD-ROM for reading DVDs and copying them to hard disk? It used to be a certain Asus 16x some 5-6 years ago, which did me well for that time, however I'm quite sure things have changed.

Further, I don't have cash pouring out of my pockets, however... DVD-ROMs aren't generally expensive anyway, so I'm not too worried.

Thoughts, Everyone?
July 1, 2007 7:52:48 PM

Quote:
'lo all.

Asking what the current best DVD-ROM is, for reading, not burning...

My Mom's old eMachines DVD+/-RW isn't reading as many DVDs as it used to... though it burns decent enough. Further, it's not SATA, but IDE... have to check on if the mobo supports ATA133 or not.

So... the question comes down to... what's the best IDE DVD-ROM for reading DVDs and copying them to hard disk? It used to be a certain Asus 16x some 5-6 years ago, which did me well for that time, however I'm quite sure things have changed.

Further, I don't have cash pouring out of my pockets, however... DVD-ROMs aren't generally expensive anyway, so I'm not too worried.

Thoughts, Everyone?

You mentioned ASUS, I have two recent ASUS DVD-ROMs which work excellent. Perhaps a little tray noise could be improved. I also am using three recent ASUS DVD RW with Lightscribe as well as two others without lightscribe. All the ASUS drives (a bunch) work perfectly from watching DVD movies to burning Lightscribe disks. In addition, recently I bought a Lite-On SATA DVD RW drive because it had a free copy on the latest Nero software needed for Vista and Lightscribe. Personally, I stay away from anything Samsung puts out there.
July 1, 2007 11:03:05 PM

Have to disagree with badge, have a Samsung 18X DVD burner and have no problems with it and it's the quietest DVD burner I have, the others are NEC and Lite-Ons
July 1, 2007 11:07:41 PM

I don't buy Samsung period.
!