Which Alienware is Better ?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Graphics Cards
  • Processors
  • Alienware
Last response: in CPUs
July 1, 2007 5:21:43 PM

Hey I am going to be purchasing an Alienware laptop in a couple weeks and was wondering which one was better and need some help :D  .

The choices are the Auroraâ„¢ m9700 (link below) completely base what it gives you for every option. http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/aurora_m970...

or the Area-51® m5550 with a couple upgrades. with this one I'd upgrade the graphics card from 128MB ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 to the 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7600. Also I'd upgrade the screen to widescreen upgrade the processor up one level to Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB. Heres the link to the computer http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/area-51_m55... but I dont think the upgrades get applied so you probably have to do choose em yourself.

I want to know which one is better overall but particullarly in graphics card and processor because I heard Turion isn't good but I'm not an expert on it.

Thanks for any help.

More about : alienware

July 1, 2007 5:35:13 PM

If you're really going to splurge on an ultra-high end laptop I recommend against buying Alienware at all. Try VoodooPC.
July 1, 2007 5:46:10 PM

Well these are in my price range, and I'm pretty intent on getting one of these two so can you tell me which is better?
Related resources
July 2, 2007 2:37:46 AM

No one can tell me which is better?
July 2, 2007 3:13:37 AM

Anyone who knows anything about computers (which is 90% of everyone here) knows that buying an Alienware is a rip-off. But ill take a look at them just for fun
July 2, 2007 3:14:56 AM

The first one is better.
July 2, 2007 3:15:37 AM

The first one would be better for gaming due to the 7900gs

I would second the idea of looking into voodoo pc, but if your set on it, go for it
July 2, 2007 3:16:29 AM

How are the Turion processors ?
July 2, 2007 3:19:25 AM

and anyway i checked VoodooPC and all the laptops i looked at aare like 3000+, way more then i can afford.
July 2, 2007 3:20:16 AM

Quote:

Their fine, they are just a little slower than the core2duos but it won't make an enormous difference since the laptop has a much faster GPU
July 2, 2007 3:20:33 AM

Quote:

Turion processors are the best mobile processors out, well they were at least im not sure if the Intel Duos beat them in the mobile field, I havent checked that out.
July 2, 2007 3:21:32 AM

aight thanks for the info =]
July 2, 2007 3:37:21 AM

i really suggest you just go and get a desktop or something... a custom one which would save you money and get you a much better pc in the process..
July 2, 2007 3:40:25 AM

No im def gonna get a laptop because I'm going to college in september and ill probably need one anyway. It doesnt have to be alienware but its the best I can find for the price.
July 2, 2007 4:01:06 AM

Don't buy from Alienware. I bought a laptop from them and it died less than 2 years of having it. They are nasty and uncompromising when the warranty wheres out. Also when you get a nasty technician, they do absolutely nothing about it.
July 2, 2007 4:08:02 AM

Wait til mid july/august. more santa rosa notebooks will be out with the 8700M GT.
July 2, 2007 4:16:25 AM

The Turions in that laptop are single core and don't hold a flame to even the Core Duos let alone the Core2's.

Turbo: If you mean the Turion X2's, they perform similarly to the Core Duos, but the Core2 pulls ahead.

I'm with everyone else, avoid Alienware.
July 2, 2007 4:33:25 AM

I dont really know from my own personal experience but I heard a LOT of good things about alienware. haters?

I mean your all just bashing on Alienware with no reason at all (beside mikeny, you gave a reason :)  , If your gonna hate at least give a reason to.
July 2, 2007 5:04:03 AM

Quote:
The Turions in that laptop are single core and don't hold a flame to even the Core Duos let alone the Core2's.

Turbo: If you mean the Turion X2's, they perform similarly to the Core Duos, but the Core2 pulls ahead.

I'm with everyone else, avoid Alienware.

Yeah my bad, I just assumed that the laptop had a TurionX2 for that price

@ sting, they rip off your money for one. We would have no reason to criticize alienware unless there was a reason. Come on, a $1600 laptop with only a single core processor?

I have a friend (not a tech guy) who asked me if i put "alienware parts" in my computer because "they're the fastest".

Chances are it's people like this that you've heard these good things from. Not people like in this tech forum who actually know what they are talking about.
July 2, 2007 9:07:28 AM

Just my 2 cents but I bought a Macbook pro and it keeps up with the best of the laptops for close to the price of some of the competitors with a better mix of hardware. Check out the new Macbook pro's for 2k, they've got the 2.2Ghz Core2Duo, 8600GT, 2Gigs, and 120 Gig HD standard. Compairing it to the Alienware I would pay the extra to get the 8600 and the 2.2 Core2Duo. With boot camp now they run windows just like any other pc, and you can't tell the difference between it and a pc laptop except logo on the lid and about an inch thinner.
July 2, 2007 9:32:32 AM

I do have the area 51 5550i With core 2 2.33 ghz 2gb of ram and 250gb hard disk. With windows xp pro and windows vista.

I did have alot of problems when I got it. It was due to the bad motherboard. But it fix now.

I would go for the area 5550i for I think it would be faster in the long run. Just due to the cpu. But if you want larger screen I would go for the m9700.

Things alienware will not let you upgrade is the CPU. I did just what you are asking. When I started I had Alienware 5550i with core 2 2.33ghz and geforce 7600. 512mb of ram and 60gb hard disk. Later when vista more stable I will drop a 200gb hard disk with 7200 rpm and 16mb cache
July 2, 2007 11:25:45 AM

I would advise against alienware. Here is where you can buy Asus laptops which are solid. And there are a lot of sites that let you build an Asus laptop how you want it for about the same as those alienware laptops are. Xotic Pc is just one of the sites you can do this. The others are found randomly in the barebone laptop section of where to buy. At the very least you need to look around as a favor to yourself. Just the fact that the second alienware notebook has the turion single core instead of the x2 (that not only turboflame looked at it wrong, until it was pointed out i thought the same) for the price where the x2 should be is why people on here dont trust alienware. Just look around a little maybe alienware turns out the best package for you. But probably not if you look.
July 3, 2007 12:47:54 AM

Quote:
Anyone who knows anything about computers (which is 90% of everyone here) knows that buying an Alienware is a rip-off. But ill take a look at them just for fun

Just curious, but why is Alienware considered a rip-off? If you're talking from a price perspective, I agree. But if its from a price/performance perspective I'd have to call that a toss up. I've not seen a VoodooPC but from what I hear they sound familiar to the Falcon Northwest PC's I've and a Falcon Northwest PC ain't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
July 3, 2007 2:51:03 AM

LoL. Everytime I walk by my laptop bag, I get annoyed. I forgot to mention the website on their tech-faq page gives you a few sites to go to for replacement parts and from talking with Alienware technicians (when they were last talking to me), has hardly any in stock and most parts have been discontinued. Also for the laptop to be fixed their website said 4-8weeks then when I contacted them, they dont do it anymore. PLus my laptop was even acting swewy after 1 year of use.
July 3, 2007 3:31:34 AM

Quote:
No im def gonna get a laptop because I'm going to college in september and ill probably need one anyway. It doesnt have to be alienware but its the best I can find for the price.

I would again say go for a desktop. You claim you will "probably" need a laptop, but that is not usually the case. I know a couple people that had laptops going to college and the majority of the time they used them was in times when they would have been able to use a desktop anyway. The times they did use them at school it was almost never for school related tasks. It was generally more of a distraction then a help.

Also depending where you go to school, a lot of schools where you actually need a laptop have been including them with tuition costs for a while now.

There is also the fact that the laptop that you might actually need for school is going to be fairly basic. By the time you configure one of those laptops to a reasonable gaming spec you could buy an equivelent or probably better desktop and save close to enough to purchase a laptop that will do anything you need to do at school.

Also given the whole college thing I would recommend against a laptop simply on that fact. You often end up with roommates that aren't totally trustworthy, or at very least have friends that come over that aren't. Its also not uncommon for backpacks to mysteriously disappear when they are not watched for a few minutes when people know there is something valuable in it.
July 3, 2007 4:25:19 AM

Alright, I have got to get in on this one, especially since I just purchased a laptop for school. Dell just released their Santa Rosa laptops, and their 15.4" is called the E1520. If your gonna buy right now, they have a coupon (google dell coupons) for $350 off plus they give you free shipping standard. Here are the specs of what I ordered:
Inspiron 1520

Sunshine Yellow
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300
1.0GB Dual Channel Ram
15.4 Inch Display - 1280x800
256MB Nvidia Geforce Go 8600GT
80GB HD 5400RPM
Bluetooth Enabled
9 Cell Battery

All for just a hair over $1100 :D 

And they have many upgrade options other then this, but most I couldn't see paying their price for, like 2 gigs of ram = $150, when I just ordered 2 gigs of ram from newegg tonight for $80, and the laptop isn't even here yet...lol. Anyways, it seems like for right now Dell is giving the best bang for the buck, and you can even chose what color you want your lappy to be. And as far as durability for riding around in your backpack, the new ones have a magnesium alloy casing & frame. Not gonna get much better then that. Also, for replacement parts, there are companies out there that sell nothing BUT dell parts. So that won't be an issue.
July 3, 2007 4:28:24 AM

Dell XPS/Alienware need to upgrade to santa rosa
July 3, 2007 4:33:29 AM

oh yeah, that was a cut and paste from a notebook forum from my sig, I forgot to add that for $30 (yes I bought it) you get a built in 2.0 megapixel webcam.

And for anyone that wonders why i got such a small hard drive, I do plan to replace it with a 200 gig 7200 rpm hard drive with my next student loan :D . But I also have 600 gigs of hard drive space on my desktop, so space isn't an issue for me.
July 3, 2007 4:37:49 AM

Quote:
Dell XPS/Alienware need to upgrade to santa rosa

I'm sorry, but I just can't see spending the money that either one of those require. Not when I can get comparable performance for hundreds less. Its one thing if your a gamer, and you live your life by games, but your average consumer that buys those laptops does it so he can stroke his epenis to a bigger size. To the few hard core gamers, that find ways to tweak them, and make them run faster, more power to you. I can understand you buying them. For everyone else...ha....ha... :D 
July 3, 2007 5:17:14 AM

Im waiting for Alienware or DellXPS to get the 8700M GT notebooks. The thing is I need something with an accidental protection plan because ill drop it. XPS notebooks arent bad and alienware cant be that bad. I got 5k for a notebook so ill use it well.
!