My system seems to be running very weird

rvanbel

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I just recently switched from Norton Antivirus to ZoneAlarm Antivirus and I notice that my system still seems to be running slow. I also have stardock running on my system as well so I'm not sure if that has alot to do with my system. Last night I was on the web and had my itunes playing and everytime I would scroll down a web page my itunes would start to skip while playing. This problem has never happened before and I wanted to know what it could be. I have run a virus scan, adaware, spybot, error nuker and windows defender and I have seen nothing. I was thinking about upgrading the memory, but would that even help my situation out. Should I go back to Norton which definitly slowed down my system? Any advice would be a big help. I don't want to start buying a whole lot of software and it end up not helping at all.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Well, what are your system specs. If you have an older system running alot of software it could slow things down. Also check your settings. On my fathers system he had norton and it has some sort of a learning curve in it slowing things down. This might also be the case with your new software. Make sure all previous software is completely uninstalled, I believe norton has a cleaner program for that aswell. From the sound of things you seem to have a great many programs to keep you safe. Maybe somewhere they don't play nice together or take up too many resources. Check taskmanager to see if any one program is hogging CPU or RAM while this happens.

GL.

rvanbel

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Well, what are your system specs. If you have an older system running alot of software it could slow things down. Also check your settings. On my fathers system he had norton and it has some sort of a learning curve in it slowing things down. This might also be the case with your new software. Make sure all previous software is completely uninstalled, I believe norton has a cleaner program for that aswell. From the sound of things you seem to have a great many programs to keep you safe. Maybe somewhere they don't play nice together or take up too many resources. Check taskmanager to see if any one program is hogging CPU or RAM while this happens.

GL.

Well I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000 cpu, Asus A8N-SLI Mobo, 2- 1gb Geil RAM, 2 BFG 7600 GT Vid's, 1 60gb hd, 2 200gb hd's and running XP Pro. I ran the norton system cleaner when I uninstalled norton and then I installed Zone Alarm AntiVirus. It just seems odd that my system seems a little slow. And I never had a problem playing itunes while surfing the web or anything. Now, itunes will start to skip the second I start to scroll or flip web pages. It's very weird

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
FORMAT. INSTALL NOD 32.

Seriously. Norton hones sack...

Uninstall norton and zone alarm and clean your registry and any remaining files then use nod32.

rvanbel

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
FORMAT. INSTALL NOD 32.

Seriously. Norton hones sack...

Uninstall norton and zone alarm and clean your registry and any remaining files then use nod32.

You want me to format my hard drive? With all the programs I have on there, thats a difficult task. Since the istallation of Zone Alarm the system starts much faster. However, I do notice that some stardock app's slow the system down somewhat. Thats why I was also considering upgrading the memory

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Have you hsed Task Manager to check CPU usage :?: :?: :?: Go Start Run and enter 'msconfig'. Goto Startup Tab and disable all startups. If system runs OK you will have to re-enable some at a time to find problem!

Mike.

rvanbel

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Well I figured it out last night. I shut off Icon X from stardock. And things cleared up. Once I loaded icon x again my itunes started to skip when I would scroll on web pages. I guess that means there's not enough memory? Maybe a more powerful cpu?

TRENDING THREADS