How can I show my pictures as slideshow/screensaver?

I want PC to automatically and continuously show all pictures in a
specified folder as a slideshow until interrupted by manual
intervention.

I also want to be able to leave the PC in a public area with the
slideshow running but locked in some way (password protected) so that
Joe Public can't do anything other than watch the slideshow, i.e.
keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered.

I know both these things are possible, but I don't know how.

TIA.

Chris.

As per original posting:

'...keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered. ...'

Which part of '...until correct password is entered. ...' are you
having difficulty with?

Uh, if the keyboard is disabled, how's Joe Public, or you for that matter, going to enter a password?

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

<chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:1119585046.533767.20580@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I want PC to automatically and continuously show all pictures in a
> specified folder as a slideshow until interrupted by manual
> intervention.
>
> I also want to be able to leave the PC in a public area with the
> slideshow running but locked in some way (password protected) so that
> Joe Public can't do anything other than watch the slideshow, i.e.
> keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered.
>
> I know both these things are possible, but I don't know how.
>
> TIA.
>
> Chris.

So, just how the hell do you expect to enter a password? Speech recognition? Telepathy?

On 23 Jun 2005 22:02:37 -0700, chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com wrote:

> Which part of '...until correct password is entered. ...' are you
> having difficulty with?

So is what you really mean to say is not that the keyboard is completely
disabled but rather that typing on the keyboard or mouse does nothing to
prevent the slideshow from running until the correct password is entered?

What you have written would mean you would have no way to enter the
password as you are saying you want the two primary input devices, keyboard
and mouse, disabled. So the only thing I can assume you to mean is that
keyboard is not completely disabled but rather that typing anything on the
keyboard other than the correct password has no effect.

I have seen programs like that but have not used any. Hopefully the
clarification will allow someone who has used such an application to offer
a suggestion.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Chris,

If you "disable" the keyboard and mouse, there is no way for anyone to input a password to unlock the system. Unless you're using some type of speech recognition or biometrics device. So you can't completely disable them.

In Windows XP, the included screen savers will either take you back to the Welcome Screen, or to a standard Windows 2000 style dialog (depending on your options) when you use the keyboard or mouse. Failure to enter a password, or entering an invalid password, will result in the Welcome Screen or logon dialog remaining on the screen, until the screen saver times out again. You can set the screen saver timeout to a very low value, 1 to 2 minutes, to reduce the impact of this on your visual presnentation. As far as I know, the majority of add-on screen savers behave the same way.

Alternatively, a 3rd party program could be used that would display your slideshow in full screen mode and intercept all keyboard and mouse input, except for the specific keys that are required as a password, no dialog would be presented. Once the correct password was entered, then the keyboard and mouse input would be passed to the system, until the program was reactivated.

<chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:1119589357.306682.88290@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Which part of '...until correct password is entered. ...' are you
> having difficulty with?

rzr

check out http://www.dmvsoft.com/
there's other software like it out there, like NitroSaver, but I get a bad
vibe from that one: It chews up a lot of CPU cycles. I'd steer clear from
that one.

As to the way some of you have been behaving - MS ought to include a "Report
this Post to MS Admin" option. As a matter of fact, I'm reporting the lot of
you.

"chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com" wrote:

> I want PC to automatically and continuously show all pictures in a
> specified folder as a slideshow until interrupted by manual
> intervention.
>
> I also want to be able to leave the PC in a public area with the
> slideshow running but locked in some way (password protected) so that
> Joe Public can't do anything other than watch the slideshow, i.e.
> keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered.
>
> I know both these things are possible, but I don't know how.
>
> TIA.
>
> Chris.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Chris

I'm amazed that such a simple request can confuse so many 'experts'!

What you need is a screensaver that acts as a slideshow, with password
protection. That way the PC is locked and you get a slideshow.

Sorry that you were treated ignorantly on this newsgroup, please don't let
this put you off from asking questions in future.

Neil

<chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I want PC to automatically and continuously show all pictures in a
> specified folder as a slideshow until interrupted by manual
> intervention.
>
> I also want to be able to leave the PC in a public area with the
> slideshow running but locked in some way (password protected) so that
> Joe Public can't do anything other than watch the slideshow, i.e.
> keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered.
>
> I know both these things are possible, but I don't know how.
>
> TIA.
>
> Chris.

Why worry about all the technical stuff, just do something simple like put
the keyboard and mouse under lock and key. No programs needed, no passwords
required. Hide them both and your done. How tough can that be?

"Gale" wrote:

> Why worry about all the technical stuff, just do something simple like put
> the keyboard and mouse under lock and key. No programs needed, no passwords
> required. Hide them both and your done. How tough can that be?
Hello, You have recieved some interesting responses.
I would agree with "Gale" and would add include the computer unit under lock
and key. Build or buy a box that will hold everything.
There is a product that may be of use for the presentation, visit
www.3d-album.com
this is not a free item. www.bottin.com may still have a small "free"
screensaver/slideshow program.
You might use a search engine to locate a "free" screen saver/slideshow
program.
Take Care.
beamish.

Make sure there is ventalation

> <chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I want PC to automatically and continuously show all pictures in a
> specified folder as a slideshow until interrupted by manual
> intervention.
>
> I also want to be able to leave the PC in a public area with the
> slideshow running but locked in some way (password protected) so that
> Joe Public can't do anything other than watch the slideshow, i.e.
> keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered.
>
> I know both these things are possible, but I don't know how.
>
> TIA.
>
> Chris.

A friend goes to trade shows and sets up a PC to run a slideshow. He just has
the monitor on the table and keeps the PC, keyboard and mouse under the
table.

Although I agree with Neil. That seems like the better option.

"Neil" wrote:

"What you need is a screensaver that acts as a slideshow, with password
protection. That way the PC is locked and you get a slideshow."
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com" wrote:

> I want PC to automatically and continuously show all pictures in a
> specified folder as a slideshow until interrupted by manual
> intervention.
>
> I also want to be able to leave the PC in a public area with the
> slideshow running but locked in some way (password protected) so that
> Joe Public can't do anything other than watch the slideshow, i.e.
> keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered.
>
> I know both these things are possible, but I don't know how.
>
> TIA.
>
> Chris.

Which part of how will they enter a password with a locked keyboard do you not understand.

<chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:1119589357.306682.88290@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Which part of '...until correct password is entered. ...' are you
> having difficulty with?

Actually, David, the reply I honestly wanted to send was:

Oh, wait. Let me see. Type in my password........ damn, keyboard's disabled. Wiggle the mouse around? Nope, that's disabled, too. Oh, yeah! That's it! Balance the monitor on it is upper left corner for 15.833275 seconds, exactly, then hit it with a hammer, while swinging a dead chicken around my head, chanting "Holo, mayo, banti, malahailia!" That's the password!!! Oh, darned, I forgot, you have to river dance while swinging the chicken. Now I have to enter my password all over again!

Or:

"Do you still have the original box your computer came in?"....................

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:eyFjDxHeFHA.412@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Which part of how will they enter a password with a locked keyboard do you not understand.

<chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:1119589357.306682.88290@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Which part of '...until correct password is entered. ...' are you
> having difficulty with?

Buy a keyboard switch.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:eyFjDxHeFHA.412@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Which part of how will they enter a password with a locked keyboard do you not understand.

<chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:1119589357.306682.88290@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Which part of '...until correct password is entered. ...' are you
> having difficulty with?

Well dickhead, if they move the mouse or touch a key the password dialog will popup spoiling the slideshow. Try to think things through before answering.

"Neil" <neil@funkcity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23OzqrxKeFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Chris
>
> I'm amazed that such a simple request can confuse so many 'experts'!
>
> What you need is a screensaver that acts as a slideshow, with password
> protection. That way the PC is locked and you get a slideshow.
>
> Sorry that you were treated ignorantly on this newsgroup, please don't let
> this put you off from asking questions in future.
>
> Neil
>
> <chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I want PC to automatically and continuously show all pictures in a
>> specified folder as a slideshow until interrupted by manual
>> intervention.
>>
>> I also want to be able to leave the PC in a public area with the
>> slideshow running but locked in some way (password protected) so that
>> Joe Public can't do anything other than watch the slideshow, i.e.
>> keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered.
>>
>> I know both these things are possible, but I don't know how.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Chris.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK screensaver, and unplug the mouse

PS i love winding geeks up!

----------------------
"Neil" <neil@funkcity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Chris
>
> I'm amazed that such a simple request can confuse so many 'experts'!
>
> What you need is a screensaver that acts as a slideshow, with password
> protection. That way the PC is locked and you get a slideshow.
>
> Sorry that you were treated ignorantly on this newsgroup, please don't let
> this put you off from asking questions in future.
>
> Neil
>
> <chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I want PC to automatically and continuously show all pictures in a
>> specified folder as a slideshow until interrupted by manual
>> intervention.
>>
>> I also want to be able to leave the PC in a public area with the
>> slideshow running but locked in some way (password protected) so that
>> Joe Public can't do anything other than watch the slideshow, i.e.
>> keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered.
>>
>> I know both these things are possible, but I don't know how.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Chris.

Bart

Aren't we all on the same team here? Trying to facilitate learning and the
better use of the XP system? Calling names turns people off and does
nothing to further the mission of this group. It is obvious that everyone
here has great knowledge of XP and OS's in general and that most times the
advice given is spot on. Maybe this latest display was the result of a bad
day.

Bart

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Well dickhead, if they move the mouse or touch a key the password dialog
will popup spoiling the slideshow. Try to think things through before
answering.

"Neil" <neil@funkcity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Chris
>
> I'm amazed that such a simple request can confuse so many 'experts'!
>
> What you need is a screensaver that acts as a slideshow, with password
> protection. That way the PC is locked and you get a slideshow.
>
> Sorry that you were treated ignorantly on this newsgroup, please don't let
> this put you off from asking questions in future.
>
> Neil
>
> <chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I want PC to automatically and continuously show all pictures in a
>> specified folder as a slideshow until interrupted by manual
>> intervention.
>>
>> I also want to be able to leave the PC in a public area with the
>> slideshow running but locked in some way (password protected) so that
>> Joe Public can't do anything other than watch the slideshow, i.e.
>> keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered.
>>
>> I know both these things are possible, but I don't know how.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Chris.

The dick shouldn't slag people off then.

"Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message news:11bnvqdrefvjv37@corp.supernews.com...

> Aren't we all on the same team here? Trying to facilitate learning and the
> better use of the XP system? Calling names turns people off and does
> nothing to further the mission of this group. It is obvious that everyone
> here has great knowledge of XP and OS's in general and that most times the
> advice given is spot on. Maybe this latest display was the result of a bad
> day.
>
> Bart
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Well dickhead, if they move the mouse or touch a key the password dialog
> will popup spoiling the slideshow. Try to think things through before
> answering.

> "Neil" <neil@funkcity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Chris
>>
>> I'm amazed that such a simple request can confuse so many 'experts'!
>>
>> What you need is a screensaver that acts as a slideshow, with password
>> protection. That way the PC is locked and you get a slideshow.
>>
>> Sorry that you were treated ignorantly on this newsgroup, please don't let
>> this put you off from asking questions in future.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>> <chris.a.mitchell@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> I want PC to automatically and continuously show all pictures in a
>>> specified folder as a slideshow until interrupted by manual
>>> intervention.
>>>
>>> I also want to be able to leave the PC in a public area with the
>>> slideshow running but locked in some way (password protected) so that
>>> Joe Public can't do anything other than watch the slideshow, i.e.
>>> keyboard and mouse disabled until correct password is entered.
>>>
>>> I know both these things are possible, but I don't know how.
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> Chris.

Try Photo2VCD, I use it to arrange my digital photo and turn them into
very cool slideshow. the result is satisfied and it has its own
burnning program built in.