WindowsXP - not all icons appear in task bar.

railcrafter

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
After a reboot, not all pertinent icons (such as volume control, Nero InCD, total of seven) appear in the notification area of the task bar. As a rule, the only icons that appear every time are "time", Norton Internet Security & LAN Connection. Log off, and then back on, and all seven icons appear. As an alternative, "stop" explorer.exe in Task Manager and then "restart" as a new task and all pertinent icons will appear also. I have not been able to find any discussion on this particular issue anywhere. Lots of discussion on task bar completely disappearing however.

Railcrafter

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
An old laptop I use often has this problem. Sometimes it is almost as if they have not loaded quickly enough, as they may appear later, but in the meantime, an easy way to sort this is to create a small batch file to save to your desktop to run whenever all the icons don't show.

To do this, open Notepad and copy the text below:

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
start explorer.exe
exit

Save As *filename*.bat (notice the .bat extension, not .txt)

This will close the taskbar and reopen it, without having to log off and back on or by opening Task Manager. Hope that is of some use to you.

railcrafter

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Thanks ukcal for the suggestion. I can certainly implement your suggestion, however, I am more interested in a permanent "fix" instead of having to kill and run explorer everytime I reboot windows.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

No worries, I have to admit, I too would like to know a more permanent fix, so hopefully if anyone does know of one and posts it here too, I will know :)
Still in the mean time, I guess we will just have to continue killing explorer...