BetlegeuseKC

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
So, I have an interesting problem with my Computer. Running Windows XP SP3, Core2Quad, 4 GB RAM, I have two associated Raid Arrays (Mirrored on both). The OS runs on a separate HD. I boot the system, and it boots to the windows login screen. I can log in fine, and it starts to load windows, after about 10 seconds, it locks up. Everything, mouse pointer, everything...complete freeze-up. I tried to pull the raid arrays out of the mix, with no changes in the problem. I rebooted into Safe mode, opened up the MSCONFIG utility, and unchecked all the startup items. I rebooted, and jumped in and it seemed to load fine. So I went through each of the programs, one at a time, attempting to find the offending startup program. It came down to a loadup function called AhCSShell.exe which is a function of Autonomic Controls, which communicates from an external control source to iTunes. I shut that off, and it seemed to boot fine, but after running, it seemed to only delay the issue. Now, I boot it up and it'll take 3-5 minutes before it does the same thing. I set the MSCONFIG to startup in Diagnostic startup, and it still does it. Safe mode runs fine for any amount of time. Just to be sure I ran MemTest86+ overnight, and had 30 error-free tests. I'm fairly certain that it's a software problem, as opposed to hardware but I'm not sure what to do next.

G

Think of it logically. You have programs that start... everything is running fine, then 2 fat guys try going through the same door. What I mean is: mostly this kind of thing happens when 2 programs try to use the same interrupt. Freezing does have to do with hardware problems, but mostly boils down to either a network card problem or an conflicting interrupt problem.

BetlegeuseKC

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
It's been running fine for several months. It just locked up and then poof, won't reboot. I'm actually running a seatools diagnostic on my OS HD right now, and it's detecting errors, so I may have to recant my former statement of "Not a Hardware Problem"

BetlegeuseKC

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I received 2 errors almost immediately on the Seatools long test, and received no more after that. I repaired the damaged sectors, and it seemed to fix the freeze up problem, but now windows runs pretty slow. Any ideas?