Sign in with
Your question

strange sound when stress testing videocard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2007 1:21:45 AM

I am just doing my usual stress testing... and i noticed that when i open ATITOOL stress test... a weird sound comes from within my computer... sounds like polyurithane rubbing .... possibly the memory making noise? because i always see memory being advertised as low-noise.

Could it just be that? Or I am really fucking up my video card lol

Oh and my sig is my system... and my desktop resolution is 2010xXXXX
July 2, 2007 11:34:41 AM

Does it also do this at 3dmark06 loading screens (between tests). I've noticed a high pitch sound coming from my PC when displaying a high number of frames, sort of like signal noise? if that's what you can call it. I think it's disturbance from high frequency refresh rates, but I can't seem to find what's actually making hte noise. I don't think it's something to worry about really, but it's quite annoying sometimes :?

P.S I have an 8800 GTX, maybe someone else noticed this?
July 2, 2007 4:47:50 PM

Yes, signal noise... i believe you are right.

Anyone else?
Related resources
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 2, 2007 4:57:43 PM

I don't wish to sprinkle any F.U.D over yourself and morerevs but my recent and dearly departed Socket A rig had started making what can only be described as a rustling sound through the speakers when doing anything particularly CPU intensive, in it’s final weeks it took to emitting a low pitched hum from time to time.

You might want to check on the health of your PSU’s.
July 2, 2007 5:01:08 PM

lol I already had suspicions of a PSU problem... whenever a PSU dies... it always does the high pitched sound. Much louder though.

I will investigate further!
July 2, 2007 5:26:38 PM

I am now 100% sure it is my powersupply.

Fuck fuck fuck

fuck

fuck fuck

FUCK!!!

Now to search for a warranty.
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 2, 2007 5:37:43 PM

Good luck mate, I hope all goes well with the transplant and your rig gives you many happy and trouble free years after the op.
July 2, 2007 6:55:17 PM

thanks man... here is the nail in the coffin...

3DMARK05 - 5330 ... as you can see in my sig ... I have done better...
!