Need a new reliable wireless router

JoshuaC

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
Last week I bought a WRT54g to replace my ancient Microsoft MN-500 and it ran good for the first 2 days and after that it's gone all to hell. It loses wireless and connection to my wired PC about once a day (2-3 times a day if I'm having a bad day it seems) and requires a "power cycle", basically me unplugging everything and then plugging it back in. After that it seems to run pretty good for a while.

Well I'm finally tired of having to "fix" it every day and I'm gonna pack it up and get a different one. What would you guys recommend? I need it to be wireless and have at least a 4 port Ethernet switch on the back. I also need it to be easy to set up.(Something I liked about the WRT54g but I guess it was too good to be true)

Thanks.

thehelo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
thats weird. i would tend to have problems with my wrt54g when i was running bittorrent and had a lot of established connections. biggest problem for me was that i had a version 5 of the wrt54g that is neutered. Has reduced memory basically and can have problems handling all the different connections, and it would basically drop connection for like 5-10 seconds like once a minute, sometimes more. I dont really know what is causing your issue though unfortunately, especially if it drops while you arent even using either pc

suvayanr

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Well, I used to use a airport express.. and it's gone down i think like once over the past year. I also just bought a airport extreme with my new mac, and that hasn't crashed yet. Other than that, my friend uses D-link, and he say's it's great. I used to have an old linksys, and the reason it crashes is because the DHCP server (the thing that gives out IPs) crashes when you have too much network traffic, or sometimes it crashes after a few hours by itself. If you have two routers, and know what you're doing, you can turn off the DHCP server on the linksys, and then use the DHCP server of a different router. Other than that, get a airport express, or even better, a airport extreme.