STOP 0x0000007B Error

golem

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Quick background -- Earlier in the day I installed a trial of Diskeeper 10 and completed a manual defrag of both my C and E drives. During one of these (can't quite remember which) Norton (NIS 2010) popped up a warning that a reboot was required to complete a cleaning task. At that time I simply put the restart on hold until defragging was done. 20 minutes later Diskeeper was complete and I rebooted. Then...

Upon reboot I get to the initial BIOS splash screen and then it goes directly to the BSOD with the STOP 0x0000007B error. From my research it seems to be one of a few possibilities:
1. Corrupt drivers for the HD controller (considered most likely cause since 2nd hex dec code is 0xC0000032)
2. Corruption or virus of MBR/Boot Sector/Boot Volume
3. Physical HD failure
4. BIOS/BIOS Memory

Not even being able to boot to safe mode I removed the drive and slaved it in another computer. The drive works fine and all contents are fully accessible and appear to be fine. This seems to take #2 & #3 from above out of play. From here I would like to solicit opinions on my next move. Should/ could I replace the HD controller drivers while I have it slaved into this test computer? Maybe reinstall it into its original computer and do an XP repair install? Or, might I be going in the wrong direction all together?

Cheers!

K8M800 Micro AM2
Sempron 3400+
C Drive - Seagate 40Gb (ST340014A)
Win XP SP4
No hardware or software changes (other than Diskeeper 10 install) have been made in recent weeks

GatorRay

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Golem,
I have a similar issue with my 2 networked PC's after updating and running JTPowerTools 2009. I'm able to use this laptop on the same wireless network without difficulty as I didn't do the upgrading. I suspect that my moderate cleaning efforts with the PT corrupted or removed the HD controller driver you suspect is your issue. I am able to run the OEM Win XP Pro startup disk only so far then I get the BSOD and the error code 7 (0x0000007B) also. I haven't switched the hard drive to another PC since the main PC is on a SATA connection and my old non-wireless PC is IDE and Win 98. My second wirelessnetworked PC has the identical problem so I'm pretty sure the "cleanup" was the cause and it likely remove or corrupted an important driver. I am in an endless loop at startup and my BSOD comes only when I try to use the Windows startup disk. My WinXP Pro setup book discs sp2 (I'm currently using sp3) fail at disk #3 with message "ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded Error code is 7. (these are old floppy discs)
I'll be interested to hear if someone has some answers for your problem as I believe we're in the same boat (corruption is everywhere!!)
Ray

GatorRay

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

Not sure what you mean by SP4. Is there a new service pack 4? I'm not aware of having that. Ray

Quick background -- Earlier in the day I installed a trial of Diskeeper 10 and completed a manual defrag of both my C and E drives. During one of these (can't quite remember which) Norton (NIS 2010) popped up a warning that a reboot was required to complete a cleaning task. At that time I simply put the restart on hold until defragging was done. 20 minutes later Diskeeper was complete and I rebooted. Then...

Upon reboot I get to the initial BIOS splash screen and then it goes directly to the BSOD with the STOP 0x0000007B error. From my research it seems to be one of a few possibilities:
1. Corrupt drivers for the HD controller (considered most likely cause since 2nd hex dec code is 0xC0000032)
2. Corruption or virus of MBR/Boot Sector/Boot Volume
3. Physical HD failure
4. BIOS/BIOS Memory

Not even being able to boot to safe mode
I removed the drive and slaved it in another computer. The drive works fine and all contents are fully accessible and appear to be fine. This seems to take #2 & #3 from above out of play. From here I would like to solicit opinions on my next move. Should/ could I replace the HD controller drivers while I have it slaved into this test computer? Maybe reinstall it into its original computer and do an XP repair install? Or, might I be going in the wrong direction all together?

Cheers!

K8M800 Micro AM2
Sempron 3400+
C Drive - Seagate 40Gb (ST340014A)
Win XP SP4
No hardware or software changes (other than Diskeeper 10 install) have been made in recent weeks

For windows XP, the HDD must be configured as SATA or IDE (depend of the HDD) in the BIOS, for Windows Vista and Win 7, the disk must be configured as AHCI.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=209

Download the manual, read page 53 and 54.

golem

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Much appreciate the replies. Sorry for the delayed in responding.

My system is now up and running in top form just as it was prior to the BSOD. I ended up performing a Windows(XP) repair and it worked as intended. Must have overwritten a failed HD controller driver while leaving all my settings and apps intact.

One thing to clear up...it IS "SP2". Must have been thinking about my old Win2k. Also, the BIOS didn't offer an AHCI option, only SATA/IDE. Interestingly though, I've never seen where anything states what drive this setting is for, especially on a MB with both SATA and IDE options. Maybe the primary (OS) drive? I have both in use on this computer. My OS drive is IDE while the BIOS setting (which I never had need to check before) is configured for SATA, has been working fine for over two years set up in this manner. Hmmmm.

Thanks again for your replies! ;)