Sign in with
Your question

How much do I charge?

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 12, 2010 5:31:18 AM

Yes, yes, I know I already posted this in a subsection of 'Windows XP' however, I am extremely anxious and my employer is awaiting my response.

I recently go a job asking me to;

(1.) Format Hard Drive
(2.) Install Win Xp or Vista with Service Pack 2 or 3
(3.) Microsoft Office Package
(4.) Recent Anti Virus Software with (Free Lifetime Updates)
(5.) Adobe Acrobat
(6.) Diagnosing of the entire system with checking hard drive, CD & DVD ROM, floppy Disk.

It has to be done on a total of 7 laptops

He then asked me to give him a price. I have no idea how much to charge since I am 16 about to be a senior in high school and have never done anything like this professionally before.

Any input would be helpful and is really welcomed

Thanks,
-Scoobysnkk

More about : charge

July 12, 2010 5:21:32 PM

Think about how much time you are going to spend on installing/configuring the laptops. And you have to ask yourself whether you want to do a good job or not.

For the proper way, after installing the OS, you have to spend hours doing the MS updates which requires numerious reboots. Same applies to other packages.

Then, you might have to go to the Laptop manufacturer's website to download the drivers that do not come with Windows and the utilities which make the Laptop to function better.

I would say you might have to spend at least 5 hours easy for 1 laptop which also depends on how fast your Internet speed is. Either flat rate or hourly rate is solely up to you but you have to estimate how much time you have to spend on doing the job.

In addition, I suggest you make sure that your employer has a legit copy of each software for each laptop. Otherwise, don't even consider taking the job. At least, I would not do it.

HTH.
m
l
July 12, 2010 6:23:06 PM

I would tell him "You provide the software. My hourly rate is "$**.**" for however much you're going to charge him for your time.
m
l
July 12, 2010 9:18:54 PM

Scotteq said:
I would tell him "You provide the software. My hourly rate is "$**.**" for however much you're going to charge him for your time.

Agreed!

What you are being asked to do, is usually a straight forward thing. However, there are times when you run into snags, and it can take minutes or days to diagnose. It's a good idea to charge a certain amount per hour.

Normally, if you have any certifications, you can charge more.
m
l
!