Sapphire X1950 pro's+avivo

marlborosmoker

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Some guy at at the other shop where I buy my pc parts asked what kind of x1950pro I bought. I just said, sapphirex1950pro gddr3 256mb PCIE, to which he replies did you get an avivo version or not. HUH? I thought avivo was part of the architecture of x1950 cards?

I thought avivo was on all x1950pro's ? I had a look on the Australian sapphire site. http://www.sapphiretech.com/at/products/browseproducts.php?pcat=3

which list every x1950pro as having avivo, heck everything in the x1900 series has avivo AFAIK. Now is there a version that isn't avivo? Is there some secret version because I think they're charging extra for avivo under the impression that it's an optional extra on x1900 and higher cards.

Who do you suggest I go to if they are charging for this. Should I contact Sapphire? I'm not the most tech savvy person, so me telling them XYZ is likely to get dismissed. I'd like to have some ammo before I start whining.

rsmart

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
He probably meant VIVO (Video In Video Out) and not Avivo (the hardware video playback acceleration). VIVO just gives you some additional ability to capture video and is usually found on more expensive versions of graphics cards. It's not used that often, unless you want to capture video from equipment that you can't by digital means (e.g. the only time I've ever used it was to capture video from an old analog video camera).

Look for the Rage Theater chip, or it's empty footprint. as a confirmation.

I think he meant VIVO as in Video in Video out. And AFAIK all X1950Pros are VIVO cards, they just don't all come with the dongle to give you in/out connectors.

There is no AVIVO version of cards they all support AVIVO, sounds just like more uninformed sale clerks.